Graphics card question

Sep 20, 2018
I'm hoping to get some pros and cons from some graphics cards eventually. I've put together a new z370 build that I was intending to put a 1080ti into, but with the release of the 2080 and 2080ti, and with my not needing a new card in place for 2 and a half months, my budget is wide open and even conducive of the 2080ti if I need it. I don't want it to bottleneck at my processor, however. The intent of the new computer is 4k gaming and VR. I pulled the video card from my old PC and that's what I'm using until I can get a new on for the rig, at which time my old computer will be gifted (Christmas for the gf's kids) so the old video card will have to go back into it. Here's the current build, with no dedicated graphics card yet:

CPU: i5-8600K overclocked at 4.6ghz (cooled with a 360mm AIO)
MB: MSI Z370 Pro carbon
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb 3000mhz (will be increasing to 32gb)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 2TB M.2 NVMe

I've been set on the 1080ti for a while, but this was with the intention of not sacrificing the gaming capability to save a couple hundred bucks. Right now it's running with an EVGA 1060 6gb card, and while it plays WoW well enough, that's not where I want to be with my new build. Any advice would be appreciated.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Really, a 1080TI is a known quantity.

Even at 4K, a 1080TI is a solid card - provided you're prepared to tweak some settings, depending on the title(s).

A 2080TI isn't the huge leap forward people were hoping for (generally speaking) and commands a sizeable premium over it's predecessor.

Since you don't need a card right away, there's no harm in keeping an eye on pricing. A 2080TI for nearly 1080TI money would be a solid deal, but at $1,200, it's a tough sell -- it's only really viable for people who want the bragging rights of having one at that price, IMO.

If you're prepared to drop $1,200 on GPUs... you might want to consider SLI 1080TI's.
Depends on the titles, of course. But 2x 1080TI's are going to set you back ~$1,300 total AND should destroy a single 1080TI in performance (in titles that support it)

If it were me, I'd opt for a single 1080TI though.

If you want to be able to game at 4k with the same nonchalance that other people have gaming at 1080p, then you want the 2080 Ti. It's going to cost you though. On the other hand, that should be no surprise. Anyone serious about 4k gaming is going to spend a lot anyways, between the CPU, memory, videocard, and monitor it's not going to be a low budget system.