May 17, 2019
So my computer has been having some serious issues lately. I've done some research and tried diagnosing myself, but can't say for sure what's wrong. All of these issues are somewhat intermittent. I built the rig and use it primarily for gaming and video editing.

The most common one by far is screen tearing, stuttering, color issues, etc. when playing games or doing other graphics intensive things. The screen will go crazy, then everything will crash. Either it will freeze on that screen, or the monitors will show no signal despite the computer still being on and running. This does happen somewhat intermittently, but is common enough that it makes gaming or editing to a meaningful extent almost impossible. I have better luck with some programs than others. I can watch videos, listen to music, surf the web without as much issue, though I have had a couple crashes and some intermittent lag/stuttering.

I also had a stretch where I could not boot up the PC. It would freeze on the Windows logo with dozens of little blue lines running across the screen, go to BSOD, or go to startup repair options which worked sometimes. It would finally boot after several restarts. I had this issue for a couple of days, but have used it for over a week without it happening again.

I've had a couple of random shut downs, but this may have been because of software crashing.

With some programs, I hear a very high pitched sort of whine coming from inside the computer, but can't tell where it's coming from. Doesn't seem to be from the fans as it continues if I stop or slow them.

It seems to me that the graphics card is failing, but I thought maybe RAM because of the startup and crashing issues. Our something else entirely. I don't have another graphics card to put in to test and don't want to buy another one just to find out that's not the issue. I ran the Windows RAM test and it didn't detect issues, but that's not always reliable. The Windows performance monitor habit shown the crashes or details, just that I shut the system down unexpectedly.

Any thoughts or advice?

EVGA 980ti FTW graphics card
Intel i7-6700k processor
Gigabyte GA-Z170x Gaming 5 MoBo
16gb (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM
Corsair CX750M PSU
250gb SSD
4tb WD black internal hard drive

Thanks!

I suspect fault with either the PSU or the GPU itself. To rule this out, can you try booting your PC via the motherboard's onboard integrated graphics processor ? What about the GPU and CPU temp value while gaming ? Do you also have a spare PSU with you, so that you can check the card on your system.

Or better yet, using your current GPU on some other PC/system might also help narrow down this issue. How OLD is the PSU, as well as the GPU ? Also, please try doing a CLEAN and a FRESH install of your operating system/OS. It never hurts.

The Coil Whine might be either coming from the GPU, and/or the PSU itself. Those repair options/BSOD screen indicate some fault with your hardware, and/or the OS itself.

May 17, 2019
I suspect fault with either the PSU or the GPU itself. To rule this out, can you try booting your PC via the motherboard's onboard integrated graphics processor ? What about the GPU and CPU temp value while gaming ? Do you also have a spare PSU with you, so that you can check the card on your system.

Or better yet, using your current GPU on some other PC/system might also help narrow down this issue. How OLD is the PSU, as well as the GPU ? Also, please try doing a CLEAN and a FRESH install of your operating system/OS. It never hurts.

The Coil Whine might be either coming from the GPU, and/or the PSU itself. Those repair options/BSOD screen indicate some fault with your hardware, and/or the OS itself.

Ooo trying the GPU on another rig is a good idea I didn't think of. I've got someone for that. The whole setup is a little over two years old, minus the PSU which is significantly older (honestly I forgot I didn't replace it when I rebuilt my rig), so it's definitely possible that's a problem. Fresh OS install couldn't hurt. I hadn't bothered since I figured the issue was more likely to be hardware. GPU temp has only had a couple of temperature spikes. That is to say higher than normal, but I think still within a safe/normal range (Normal roughly 35-40C, spikes max at about 70C). When the crashes and other issues happened, temp was well within normal range.