[SOLVED] graphics card randomly crashes every 2~ weeks

Jul 23, 2019
7 months ago I bought my new computer, and ever since the first couple of days it has been randomly freezing and stuttering to the point that I have to completely restart it and unplug it from the power source for a couple of minutes, just so I can turn it back on (otherwise the monitor stays black).

I sent my PC to the technicians twice, and both times they were unable to find any issues, followed by them also changing my graphics card the second time, in the hopes that it will fix it - however this has not worked. I re-installed my nvidia drivers with DDU as well and this did not help either.

the issue does NOT come up when I use my old 60hz monitor connected with hdmi. The only way I have experienced this happening is using my new monitor (144hz) connected with displayport so it can actually show 144hz. I did not test for 2~ weeks with my new 144hz monitor connected with hdmi so it shows 60hz, but in the time that i did test... the crash did not happen and it seems to work fine like that as well.

so now combining everything above, this makes me believe that somehow the issue is with the monitor itself when its connected using a displayport cable? (i tried a different DP cable but it did not help)

so all that being said, what should I do? what can I do? why would this issue be happening when the monitor is connected using displayport? is there an explanation for this? every other combination seems to work, and of course I refuse to use a 144hz monitor at 60hz just because of this crash. I'm really frustrated after dealing with this issue for 7 months I tried so many things but nothing has helped... I really need help and guidance, I'm lost at this point and I don't even understand why this is a thing. please help

also the only thing on event viewer when the freeze/stutter/crash happens is a nvlddmkm (event id 14) error that has a /device/video3 0cec(3098) information

GTX 1660 Ti (6gb)
Ryzen 5 3600 (6 cores)
16gb Ram
1920x1080 144hz

it doesnt matter whats happening on the PC at the time. it crashed while I'm playing a video game, watching youtube, browsing the internet, while everything is idle... IT EVEN HAPPENED literally like a few seconds after turning the PC on after its been turned off for 9 or so hours

Solution
ve been told that this psu should be more than enough for the build
You've been told wrong. It's not just wattage that matters. The quality of the PSU is far more important. Your system may have a 1000W PSU and still have issues if it was unreliable and without proper protections. I am not saying that you have the worst but it's not a PSU that should be used in a gaming rig, not unless you like risking your components.

Asus 24" VG248QE
My bad, I thought you had a 1440p/144Hz monitor. Since yours is 1080p/144Hz then HDMI 1.3 and above is required for 144Hz so, that monitor using HDMI 1.4, your GPU is capable, all you need is a proper cable.

It might be the monitor's fault in the end.
It's enough, thanks for that. The VS series from Corsair are their budget PSUs. They are far from the quality Corsair is known for. Although it may not be your issue, you will be better if you upgrade it, sooner rather than later.

For the monitor, HDMI can display 1440p/144 Hz if it's 2.0 or above. Both monitor and GPU need to have the verification though (your GPU certainly does support it). Oh yeah and a HDMI 2.0 or above cable is needed as well. Try using one.

Meanwhile, check your temps for GPU and CPU idle and while gaming.

Jul 23, 2019
It's enough, thanks for that. The VS series from Corsair are their budget PSUs. They are far from the quality Corsair is known for. Although it may not be your issue, you will be better if you upgrade it, sooner rather than later.

For the monitor, HDMI can display 1440p/144 Hz if it's 2.0 or above. Both monitor and GPU need to have the verification though (your GPU certainly does support it). Oh yeah and a HDMI 2.0 or above cable is needed as well. Try using one.

Meanwhile, check your temps for GPU and CPU idle and while gaming.

ive been told that this psu should be more than enough for the build, and as the technicians had my pc twice now, and detected 0 problems i dont think there is any problems with it.

the monitor i have is a Asus 24" VG248QE which i believe is HDMI 1.4 if im not mistaken?

some extra info is: whenever this crash happens, if i just restart my pc WITHOUT unplugging it and the monitor from the power source for a couple of minutes- the monitor just stays as a black screen (no signal) when i turn on my pc again, but... if i change it out at that point for a HDMI cable- it shows picture once again! changing it back to displayport is again a black screen, and its like this until i unplug it for a few minutes from the power source. does this give any clues as to what might be exactly happening?

Jul 23, 2019
and i've heard this exact type of issue before, i've seen it many times online. this person fixes their "no signal" problem by doing the exact same thing, however for them its not a result of a crash: View: https://imgur.com/a/CHvoL5C
they say something about "the processor in there that was messing up the connection" is it possible that when that happens inside my monitor (or something similar) it causes my graphics driver to crash? to me this sounds like it should the case, since again.. i've used DDU, changed graphics cards, updated bios, drove my PC to the technicians twice ect. it sounds like what is happening?

Last edited:
ve been told that this psu should be more than enough for the build
You've been told wrong. It's not just wattage that matters. The quality of the PSU is far more important. Your system may have a 1000W PSU and still have issues if it was unreliable and without proper protections. I am not saying that you have the worst but it's not a PSU that should be used in a gaming rig, not unless you like risking your components.

Asus 24" VG248QE
My bad, I thought you had a 1440p/144Hz monitor. Since yours is 1080p/144Hz then HDMI 1.3 and above is required for 144Hz so, that monitor using HDMI 1.4, your GPU is capable, all you need is a proper cable.

It might be the monitor's fault in the end.

Solution