Question Graphics card refusing to work at 1080p or below

Nov 10, 2021
Weird as all hell this. Just got a new 6500 xt (I know I know, it's crap etc) and it works fine at 1200p, 1440p and 4k (frame rates aside) but as soon I switch to 1080p I get either coloured static or a black screen and the game crashes. I put a friend's 970 in and everything is fine, the same if I just use the integrated graphics from the CPU.

The drivers are updated and I even sent it back to the retailer and they said there was nothing wrong with it and they sent it back.

Does anyone have ANY idea what this could be? I don't really even know where to start.

12700k, Asus 6500 xt, Gaming x Z690.

Thanks very much. This is driving me mad.

Nov 10, 2021
The cable talk was helpful. I tried it with a different cable in a different monitor and it worked.

I narrowed the problem down to the two 60 hz hdmi ports on the screen I was using. It works fine on the 30 hz.
It also runs Subnautica and Outer Wilds on 1080p and below, but absolutely nothing else, not even the Tales of Monkey Island games from nearly 15 years ago.

I don't 'spose anyone has the first idea why this particular GPU doesn't like those particular ports?

Nov 10, 2021
The culprit was a setting on the Hisense TV I am using. Apparently putting the HDMI 2.0 setting to Enhanced when I got the TV 5 years ago stopped it working with the exact GPU I would end up getting.

I doubt I wouldn't have figured that out inside this calendar year on my own. Thanks very much guys.