JoeVarro

Prominent
May 22, 2020
So I recently decided to build a new pc and I did. I then booted into my old ssd (windows 11) to see if everything can work without a clean windows installation, But as expected it didn’t. My pc started restarting when i logged in or if I managed to login, it restarts when i try to do something, but I noticed it was the graphics card causing the pc to restart because it was the only thing turning off. I then decided to clean install windows 11 but when I got to the setup page and it started checking for updates the same thing happened and my graphics card restarted the whole pc. this time it was always during the updating process. I decided to swap my graphics card which was an RTX 3050 with my old one which was a gt740 and it seemed like everything is working correctly without any restarts. Any ideas what could be the issue? I don’t know if it’s the graphics card but i really hope it’s not.

EDIT: I continued the setup with my old graphics card and i booted to windows, I then restarted and added the rtx 3050 and now it keeps restarting everytime it boots to windows, before the login screen.

UPDATE: Just made sure the rtx 3050 is working fine because my pc just restarted by itself with my old gpu

What i have tried:
  • reinstalling windows
  • Flashing bios
  • making sure everything is all the way in (in motherboard)
SPECS:
Graphics: ginward ghost rtx3050 8gb “new” gt740 4gb “old”
PSU: Cooler master 750w v2 80 bronze plus
Motherboard: msi B550m pro vdh wifi
ram: 16 gb 2400mhz kingston and a 2666mhz kingston
Cpu: AND ryzen 5 5600x

Everything is brand new.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
How are you doing or how did you attempt the clean windows install?

Recommendation:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366
Hey thank you for replying and sorry for being late, I'm pretty sure its not windows as I did all the steps above.
But there is an update:

- After turning on Precision Boost Override for CPU in bios the pc stays on longer, Until I play a game it works for like 5 mins
then the restart happens again

- I also changed the PCIE gen from 4 to 3 as I saw people with the same issue that fixed it by doing this

Now my pc stays on for constant times but long.
for example I can be idle and it stays for like 4 hours but in sleep mode and when I wake it up by moving my...

JoeVarro

Prominent
May 22, 2020
How are you doing or how did you attempt the clean windows install?

Recommendation:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366
Hey thank you for replying and sorry for being late, I'm pretty sure its not windows as I did all the steps above.
But there is an update:

- After turning on Precision Boost Override for CPU in bios the pc stays on longer, Until I play a game it works for like 5 mins
then the restart happens again

- I also changed the PCIE gen from 4 to 3 as I saw people with the same issue that fixed it by doing this

Now my pc stays on for constant times but long.
for example I can be idle and it stays for like 4 hours but in sleep mode and when I wake it up by moving my mouse it restarts.
or I can play for a long time and then it restarts after a certain amount of time, or if I open too much graphics. For example a game
and a picture or a video the pc starts restarting. I am pretty sure its not the gpu as I tried it with a gt 740 and the same problem happened
also my psu is a cooler master one and its brand new so I don't think that can be an issue. keep in mind its rated as a 80 plus bronze
I also noticed my ram have different mhz one with 2400 and one with 2666

Update: After changing my ram voltages from 1.2 to 1.35 it now works perfectly! Haven't turned off till now and I hope it doesn't!

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS