Question Graphics Card Running at 100% once any game opens

LewisMann

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
Hi all,

I recently put water cooling into my system (Corsair H75) and noticed that my GPU usage runs at 90-100% once any sort of game opens on my PC. I used to use the standard cooler that came with my CPU (all specs listed below)

Once I tab out of my game by simply Alt-Tabbing, then the GPU usage goes down to the normal idle. When playing the games, both of my fans are running and my PC is loud.

It would be worth noting that I have tried a 1070 as well as a 1060 and got the same results, so it must be something other than my GPU which is the problem.

The ultimate problem is in Task Manager where it displays 'Very High' GPU Usage once any game opens.

There is also something called "Installer Project" which I don't understand why that is there? It is located in C:\Users\(myname)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect - This also runs at 'Very High' GPU Usage at all times.

I have updated all my drivers, checked for any malware multiple times that could potentially be running on my system, but there is no sign of this allowing my GPU to run at such high speeds.

When idle, my GPU runs at 0-2%.

CPU
: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
SSD: 232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD))
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA
465GB Samsung SSD 980 PRO 500GB
Motherboard: MSI Gaming Plus B550
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3600MHz
Windows 10 64-Bit

I have attached the game with the GPU Usage, along with the 'Installer project' that also runs very high.

I'd appreciate some answers if possible!

Attachments: View: https://imgur.com/7ulNDJq
| View: https://imgur.com/3unbLlU

Thanks,
Lewis

Lutfij

Titan
I recently put water cooling into my system (Corsair H75)
+
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x

You're advised to have at least a 240mm AIO, not an AIO designed nearly a decade ago. It's not the right cooler for the job. What were you working with prior to the H75?

LewisMann

Reputable
Mar 2, 2019
Why is it a problem if the GPU runs at near 100%?
I wondered why it was occuring and it hasn't before. I wouldn't have thought that it should be running that high with both fans on the GPU both running at maximum. I only posted here because it hasn't happened as near as bad as this before.

Jul 12, 2022
Likely, if you have a powerful graphics card like a 1070 or 1080, it dpesn't need tp wprk hard at all to properly run at idling speeds. Honestly, as long as you have good response time and FPS on like Google Search, don't worry about it one bit. You should see what happens when guys have like RTX 3090s and go Google something. Lol