[SOLVED] Graphics card scratching noise

lyenlash

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018
Hello i bought a 1060 3giga about 12 to 18 months ago and out of nowhere a few day ago it started making a scratching noise when its under stress. (Playing games)
Tomorrow i'm going to take it out of the case and try to clean it and hope that works but if it dosn't do you guys think nvidia will repair it? On the site it says 3 year from when you bought it.

Solution
Its probably coil whine, you can test this by opening MSI afterburner or any other software where you can control the gpu fans, and put them at 100% without the gpu being used, if the sound doesnt come from the fans its coil whine and there is no fix for it.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
scratching noise? from the card? Or is it more like a whining? Video cards can make coil whining noises under high load. Especially with very high frame rates. If is not a whining noise, can you describe the noise your card is making a little more detailed? Or does it come from one of the fans?

lyenlash

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018
I think the problem is the fan of the gpu it makes a strange sound when i'm playing something. I took the panel off and put my head inside the case and i'm 99% sure it comes from the gpu.
It started less then a week ago.

gogi

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Its probably coil whine, you can test this by opening MSI afterburner or any other software where you can control the gpu fans, and put them at 100% without the gpu being used, if the sound doesnt come from the fans its coil whine and there is no fix for it.

Solution