Graphics Card, Screen Resolution, and 120Hz Monitor is Research

TheDaoDoughnut

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014
Hello everyone!

My name is Patrick and I am conducting research at The City University of New York. I have some technical questions regarding graphics cards, screen resolution, and computer monitors.

First off, I do not have the computer specifications available right now (I will when the campus reopens on Monday December 1st). All I know is that the computer we are using is a brand new Dell.

Second, I am conducting research on subliminal messaging. I need to expose participants to stimuli that lasts around 8 milliseconds. Can you please address these technical questions before I submit proposals for spending college funds on hardware? I need affordable options, please keep that in mind!

My questions are:

1. I need a display monitor that can display images at around 8 milliseconds. As I understand it, I would need a 120Hz computer monitor. Does this sound right?

2. I need a graphics card that can, likewise, support the 120Hz monitor. Can someone recommend a graphics card that can be used to display images at around 8ms.

3. In regards to screen resolution, I would need the image displayed to be "clear" but not HD clear. Basically, I just need the image to be recognizable.

Please let me know if I provided enough information to answer these questions (I will update this post with the computer specifications once I have access to it).

Thank you all so much,
Patrick

Solution
Unless you game on the monitor or you specifically need 144hz refresh rate, I don't reckon so. I don't think there is much to gain from 144 compared to 120, it's not on the same level as say from 60 to 85hz.

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
1: 120Hz display will be your minimum.

2: almost all GPU's can render at 120 frames per second or greater, the speed is dependent on the overhead of the software and visual complexity. if displaying a 120fps video, a cheep Geforce 210 should suffice or integrated graphics, even 120fps flash content can be ran by current generation intel integrated graphics just fine if the complexity is kept in check.

3: most 120Hz or greater displays are 1080p.

here's some new egg listings or 144hz displays. i did not see any 120hz ones listed.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&N=100007617%20600417886&IsNodeId=1

TheDaoDoughnut

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014

So are you basically saying that the standard graphics card (already installed) should be able to accomplish the feat I mentioned?

By complexity, do you mean resolution?

Thank you

Anencephalus

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
I don't think you need a fancy GPU although I'm no expert when it comes to subliminal messaging and research.

For the gpu, you just need to match it with your PSU- make sure it has enough power, and make sure it's compatible with your build. Most gpus can run the resolutions you are looking for.

As for monitors you have many options especially with the holiday sales. What size monitor do you need? Here are a few monitors that are 24", have 1ms and 144hz.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160177
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009642

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012

resolution effects all of this, however 1080p is really standard so their will be no issues running a monitor at that resolution at 120fps or greater. the mention of complexity was if this was some sort of application interjecting the subliminal message in to something, say a game, or web site.

as long as you're running a video, i see no reason why you would need new graphics hardware over what is already in the computer. (assuming its a decent computer, knowing the specks would help)

TheDaoDoughnut

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014

I am actually running a computer program. The program is, however, extremely simple (participants are counting numbers in the middle of the screen and subliminal messages are popping up on either the left or right of the numbers. I will get back to you with the computer specs ASAP.

Anencephalus, chenw, and others have been recommending 144Hz monitors. These are more expensive than the 120 Hz monitors. Is there any reason I should choose 144Hz over 120Hz?

Thank you all again!

chenw

Honorable
Unless you game on the monitor or you specifically need 144hz refresh rate, I don't reckon so. I don't think there is much to gain from 144 compared to 120, it's not on the same level as say from 60 to 85hz.

Solution