News Graphics Card Shipments Have Jumped 32% in 2022: Report

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Agree with magbarn. I have a feeling these analysts either don't comprehend, or don't know how to separate, real consumer GPUs from miners. If they were really trying hard, they could probably just plot various GPU prices with the price of crypto and get a clue.

Reactions: magbarn

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Are they truly making more now or did up to 1/3rd of the AIB shipments went straight to mining outfits and skipped the distributors during the cryptoboom?
I have no concrete evidence, but I feel all these “supply shortage” was just a cover up so that they can move whatever stock of GPU they got to miners. Why? Cause miners are willing to pay a significant premium, less cost of distribution by selling and sending bulk GPUs to a few buyers , and there is less liability in the form of warranty for GPUs used for mining. It is a win-win-win situation for the manufacturers. Now that mining demand is gone, suddenly we have an abundance of GPU supply. The timing cannot be any better than this.

Reactions: magbarn

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
I have no concrete evidence, but I feel all these “supply shortage” was just a cover up so that they can move whatever stock of GPU they got to miners. Why? Cause miners are willing to pay a significant premium, less cost of distribution by selling and sending bulk GPUs to a few buyers , and there is less liability in the form of warranty for GPUs used for mining. It is a win-win-win situation for the manufacturers. Now that mining demand is gone, suddenly we have an abundance of GPU supply. The timing cannot be any better than this.
Not to mention the sudden jump of Ampere numbers in Steam. That lets us know the cards are finally going to gamer's hands. Unless miners all decided to start playing Elden Ring!

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

There's some anecdotal evidence of this. Recently there have been some articles about TSMC not being able to deliver volume in 2022 due to lack of input materials on their advanced nodes, however the same reports indicate that the highly advanced nodes (7nm, 5nm) have not been affected by this until now.

Only the less advanced nodes for things like display controllers and SoCs for car infotainment systems were affected over the past couple of years, mostly the 20 / 28 nm and larger nodes.

These GPUs are on the more advanced nodes. Put that together with the above two assertions and there should have been no GPU supply issues due to COVID. So I think you are right, and mostly Nvidia probably allocated the majority of their GPUs to crypto miners and not the retail gamer market.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I don't believe Nvidia or AMD ever blamed supply shortages for the lack of GPU's being sold at retail. AMD didn't care in the first place, and Nvidia just said they were producing as much as they could and they couldn't meet demand. These companies sign contracts with suppliers a long time in advance. There were never any reports that either company wasn't receiving what they ordered. Demand simply outstripped predicted supply, and there was no way to ramp up production to meet that demand.