Graphics Card Shortages to Improve in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]pleaseee hurry up! i have been using a 6670 with my i5 3570k because i cant find a damn gtx 680[/citation]

Check with a company called central computers based out of the San Jose area, that's where I got two. Also, if you go to EVGA's website and go to "where to buy" call each company and see if they have them in stock. Just don't deal with Dell, I ordered two with them. First they said I'd have them buy April 5th then they said that they ran out post order and I'd receive the cards by may 21st lol.

joaompp

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I got an email from EVGA at 9pm saying the base 680 was in stock, by the time I checked my email at 11:30pm the cards where already all sold out. The low availability is crazy, and then you have random people buying it and marking it up by over $150 on ebay and on amazon.

I hope this improves soon because I'm dying to replace my Intel celeron + GTS 8500 system, its just painful.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Meh. It's AMD's APUs that are good enough for gaming as far as entry level systems are concerned, not HD4000. I actually dislike the way the media's f*pping to HD4000 graphics, as if AMD's stuff doesn't matter.

And anyway, HD4000 is hardly there in the lineup, few people buy i7s for the IGP, and almost all i5s have HD2500. I don't know what's up with Intel on this front.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]pleaseee hurry up! i have been using a 6670 with my i5 3570k because i cant find a damn gtx 680[/citation]

Per Frozen CPU's Facebook page, as of yesterday they have 680's in stock.

joaompp

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]tuffjuff[/nom]Per Frozen CPU's Facebook page, as of yesterday they have 680's in stock.[/citation]

not anymore they don't

G

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Meh. It's AMD's APUs that are good enough for gaming as far as entry level systems are concerned, not HD4000. I actually dislike the way the media's f*pping to HD4000 graphics, as if AMD's stuff doesn't matter.And anyway, HD4000 is hardly there in the lineup, few people buy i7s for the IGP, and almost all i5s have HD2500. I don't know what's up with Intel on this front.[/citation]
as the article states,"Nvidia is also under pressure to move Kepler quickly into the mainstream . ."

it is referring not to gaming but to desktops where intel HD graphics do suffice.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]looniam[/nom]as the article states,"Nvidia is also under pressure to move Kepler quickly into the mainstream . ."it is referring not to gaming but to desktops where intel HD graphics do suffice.[/citation]
Which is why i mentioned the i7s... :)

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
"Nvidia is set to report the earnings for its first fiscal quarter..." After it's absence of the 600 series and AMD's complete roll out of 7000 series, shouldn't it read, "Nvidia is set to report the LOSSES for its first fiscal quarter..."?

G

The stockbrokers need all the processing power they can get their hands on. Your most desired GPU is out of stock because some large day trading outfit bought the entire chip fab's output just to get a few milliseconds jump on the stock market!

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Meh. It's AMD's APUs that are good enough for gaming as far as entry level systems are concerned, not HD4000. I actually dislike the way the media's f*pping to HD4000 graphics, as if AMD's stuff doesn't matter.And anyway, HD4000 is hardly there in the lineup, few people buy i7s for the IGP, and almost all i5s have HD2500. I don't know what's up with Intel on this front.[/citation]

I hate that too, their APU's have given me hope for IGP's but their cpu's are way behind in performance and thats what's hurting them, AMD needs to get their game on and deliver a massive increase in cpu performance.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Empty promises ...for investors nothing else..I want to see some cards in stock!!!
As I commute to work I refresh newegg's web for good 15 min every day. On refresh number 4
GTX680 was in stock so I must have been perhaps the 1st who saw it...unless there are more people as I lol so I wanted to add it to my card...bamm ...limited stock bla blahhhh ...basically you can not buy it...best part is 10 min later I got email notification that card is in stock...well obviously it is not.
Frustrating. I give up. It appears that lower we go with die the lower are the yields and not very profitable as one would thing ...well stick to the old die before jumping on something new that is not reliable.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Intel on board graphics "good enough" LOL right there.
Solitaire @ 5760x1200 triple screen maybe ;)
Think I will stick to a dedicated card thanks, Gaming pc's shouldn't be using on board graphics at all!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
funny thing is despite the 680 shortage Nvidia are stupid enough to release a Dual GK104 GTX690.

who the hell can get the gtx690, when the 680 is already rare. 690 is like super rare. now they are sending some good gtx680 chips to build gtx690, when everyone of us are trying hard to get 680.

[citation][nom]maxinexus[/nom]Empty promises ...for investors nothing else..I want to see some cards in stock!!!As I commute to work I refresh newegg's web for good 15 min every day. On refresh number 4 GTX680 was in stock so I must have been perhaps the 1st who saw it...unless there are more people as I lol so I wanted to add it to my card...bamm ...limited stock bla blahhhh ...basically you can not buy it...best part is 10 min later I got email notification that card is in stock...well obviously it is not.Frustrating. I give up. It appears that lower we go with die the lower are the yields and not very profitable as one would thing ...well stick to the old die before jumping on something new that is not reliable.[/citation]

New transistor node processes almost always have poor supply for a while. Check out how Radeon 5000 did on supply for the first year or so after it's launch and how Radeon 7000 did for the first few weeks. Of course, Radeon 7000 recuperated far faster than Nvidia did and that's saying something considering that AMD is able to keep six Radeon 7000 model GPUs in supply (even if it's only three different GPUs and the other three are cut down versions of the full GPUs). Come on, TSMC!!!

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Don't worry by the time you can actually buy a 680 or even a 690 it will be time for the 780GTX. ;)
I hear they are ramping up this month anyway so shortages won't be so bad in a few weeks.
99% of you are most likely gaming on 1900x1200 or 1920x1080 screens anyway and probably 1 screen at that, Not like you NEED a 680 or 690 to run anything at a playable 30fps,Last gen cards are more than adequate. My 480's still handle everything and will easily last till there is new stock!

[citation][nom]IQ11110002[/nom]Intel on board graphics "good enough" LOL right there.Solitaire @ 5760x1200 triple screen maybe Think I will stick to a dedicated card thanks, Gaming pc's shouldn't be using on board graphics at all![/citation]

IQ11110002, meet Llano... HD 4000 is between the A4s and A6s (leaning closer to A6 than A4) and both A6s and A8s are considered good enough for entry level gaming. I'd like for you to watch out for Trinity as well. The top Trinity IGPs might be able to match the 7750 (speculation based on the 7750's TDP being easily fit into the TDP of an APU with a TDP of 100 to 130 watts). HD 4000 isn't quite there for entry level gaming in modern games and Llano is slipping as games increase in processing load to facilitate increased picture quality, but lets at least admit that it is a big step for Intel.

Now, if only Intel put it on more i3s and i5s. So far, only the i5-3570K and the i7s have it on the desktop market. You'd think that Intel learned to not pull this crap with Sandy Bridge and that that is why HD 3000 i3s and i5s were launched, but I guess Intel might have not learned after all and only pretended to so they could release something to keep us from asking WTF are they doing and why aren't they doing it faster.

EDIT: That could be the most epic game of Solitaire ever.

You hear that there will be increased production of GK104? Where did you hear this? I'd like to see proof of this.

/s

Good point about the 680/690. They aren't too useful for 1080p and 1920x1200, unless you are doing some 3D gaming and/or are gaming on a 120Hz display and want to fill up that refresh rate with FPS (and with V-Sync).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS