Question graphics card shutting down after playing Ready or Not 1.0

morpheus6677

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
Hi there

I'm running a self-built setup that was running pretty smoothly since spring 2022. Right now I'm facing a problem.
I've been playing Ready or Not 1.0 recently. Last week after an hour of playing all of a sudden my monitor lost signal and my pc made this weird sound:
View: https://youtu.be/9YXGH7BVMxE

I assume what can be heard are the fans of my graphics card. I am pretty sure that the affected component is my graphics card as I could still communicate to my friend via discord while my monitor blacked out (saying it doesnt receive a signal). I restarted my PC with the physical on/off button. After that everything was fine and I could continue playing Ready or Not without any problems. A few days went on playing the game without any issues. Today, me and my friend were playing the mission called Ides of March. The map was pretty big, thus the fps were quite low on average when playing the mission. As a result of it I decided to close the game and restarted it using DirectX 12 instead of DirectX 11. It was better this time around when suddenly my monitor blacked out again and the graphics card made that weird noise again. I restarted my PC with the physical button again. We retried the mission (this time again with DirectX 11) but this time I turned the graphics settings from highest to medium and it worked fine for about 5 minutes when suddenly the monitor blacked out again saying it doesn't get a signal.

I tried to restart the PC again, intending to make some research about the issue on the internet. But this time the monitor woulnd't get a signal upon restart. I tried to restart it again with the same result. Thinking that my graphics card might be damaged I tried to connect the monitor to the motherboard (using display port in both cases) but the monitor still wouldn't get any signal. I fear that not only the graphics card has a problem.

- I do use Nvidia shadowplay to record highlights
- I checked the temps before the last crash, they were pretty normal (about 68°C for the GPU and 47°C for the CPU)
- I do usually play League of Legends, Valorant and CS2 too and this never happened while playing these games
- This situation occured about 3 times in total

Does anyone have an idea what could have caused the issue?
How can I find out which components are certainly damaged in order to replace them?

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Last edited:

morpheus6677

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
Full hardware specs? Don't say "in sig" because there are lot of us who have the option to see sigs turned off by default.
Ofc, here are my specs:

Intel i9 12900K | Gigabyte RTX 3080Ti | 2 × 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi | 2 × 2TB Samsung 980 PRO | Corsair RM1000x (1000W) | Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix | Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB

So, a lot of times if there is something wrong with the card you can't just switch the cable to the motherboard output, you have to physically remove the card. Sometimes even if there is nothing wrong with the card and you want to use the integrated adapter you have to completely remove the card or it won't work. And, in some cases you also actually have to SET the primary adapter to the integrated video adapter in the BIOS which obviously you can't do if you don't have a video signal so in some cases you have to not only remove the discreet graphics card but also do a hard reset of the BIOS so it will refresh it's hardware information and automatically detect that you are now using the iGPU. If you need to do that, I would highly recommend using THIS method, and do so exactly as outlined.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Jan 8, 2024
Did you get this problem figured out? I have the same GPU and the same problem with the same game. Even happened on the same mission. R o N broke my computer!

Last edited:

superjohnny33

Commendable
Oct 6, 2021
I have the same graphics card and the same issue happened. I reset the cmos and when I had the graphics card not plugged in my pc would start up. My pc would make a double clicking noise when the graphics was plugged in however and not turn on. But I tried checking if the graphics card was broken by plugging in 1 6 pin connector to see if the fans would spin and now I think I just shorted my whole computer.

Feb 5, 2024
I had the same issue. I launched ready or not Directx12 and what happened was my pc black screened and the fans throttled. My pc was dirty i assumed the temps were high so i cleaned it out (which it needed badly) and i played again after and it was fine. Another day i hop back on ready or not with all the temps ok and it crashed again, fans throttled again. Only this time upon restarting, the pc wont post at all. I tried taking out the CMOS battery and all that, didnt work. Plugged in my old RX580 and it posted like normal. Safe to say ready or not killed my gigabyte 3080ti? The fans spin and the light is on, no weird noises. But no post whatsoever. Im trying to think what else i could do to diagnose this issue, if you guys ever find a solution please let me know, il also keep updated if i find a fix, which i doubt.

morpheus6677

Prominent
Jun 1, 2022
So, a lot of times if there is something wrong with the card you can't just switch the cable to the motherboard output, you have to physically remove the card. Sometimes even if there is nothing wrong with the card and you want to use the integrated adapter you have to completely remove the card or it won't work. And, in some cases you also actually have to SET the primary adapter to the integrated video adapter in the BIOS which obviously you can't do if you don't have a video signal so in some cases you have to not only remove the discreet graphics card but also do a hard reset of the BIOS so it will refresh it's hardware information and automatically detect that you are now using the iGPU. If you need to do that, I would highly recommend using THIS method, and do so exactly as outlined.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.
Thank you for your reply, I'm sorry for the late answer as I didn't have time to work on the issue up until now. Fortunately, it was not necessary in my case to reset the bios. Removing the card was enough to get a video signal out of the iGPU.

My graphics card most likely is the only thing that has been damaged.

Do you think that warranty on the card will apply? (i still have warranty until 2025)