Status
Not open for further replies.

ksn380

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Good day folks,

Looking for advice on graphic card solutions. I currently have 2 X1650XT PCIE cards in my system. They run a triple monitor setup plus a projector. All hooked up via DVI,
as each card is a dual DVI card. One of the card's fan stopped working recently. It looks and sounds like the fan is trying to start, it spins for a second or two then stops, and will repeat this behaviour. Due to this issue the card heats up bigtime. So for the time being I'm only running two monitors off of one card.

My choices are to either replace the defective card with the same or similar card (that'll work seamlessly with the working X1650XT, or purchase a new card that can run
everything itself.

I can't really find a replacement as this card is now almost 6 years old. Found one guy on eBay selling it for $149 which I don't think is worth it. Checked out Newegg and
saw many other options.

I'm not really a gamer but would love to maybe play some games using all three monitors. Looks really cool.

I also really love that these cards gave me 4 DVI outs. This makes things so much simpler.

I heard and have read about Eyefinity. Sounds really cool. Thought I might be able to take advantage of this technology having 3 monitors. Currently using Ultramon to spread taskbar across all monitors. Also like that I can span panoramic pictures across all three monitors with Ultramon.

My questions:

Should I just replace the defective card? If so, do you guys know of other cards that'll work with my current one?

I saw a 4 DVI card on Newegg, a VisionTek 900307 Radeon HD 4670 X2 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card, for $289.00. I thought that was too steep.
What do you think about this card? Is it worth it?

Also saw a, DIAMOND A4870PE5512 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - OEM, for $75. Will this work with X1650XT? If not, would buying two of these ($150) be a better option that the 4 DVI $289 card?

Last option, HIS H677FN1GD Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity, for $105. It has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, and
a display port, for which I'll need to purchase a display port to DVI adapter, $30.

Whould love to hear what you guys would do. Thanks for your help.

KSN

My system ...

P5K3 Deluxe/WIFI-AP MB
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
6 x SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
3 x Westinghouse L2210NW 22" Monitors
Panasonic PT-AE900U Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.