[SOLVED] Graphics card sparked, what do I do?

VoidInfernal

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
Hey everyone, I was testing out MDI afterburner as a recommendation from a friend. That, along with a YouTube tutorial to overclocking a graphics card, led to my GPU sparking & me unplugging the system.

Here’s what happened. In MSI Afterburner, I upped the power limit to 109 (I think) & the temp limit to 95C. I also turned the fan to always 100%. I also set MSI Afterburner to run on startup. I then ran whatever the MSI benchmark is (I think it was called komputator or something) & a few seconds in, my display went black. The fans in my PC went up to like turbo speed & I saw sparks from inside my GPU. I smelled smoke, & immediately went and unplugged the system.
I opened up the PC (I built it so I don’t think I damaged anything doing this) and popped out the GPU. It smelled a bit burnt but nothing else in the PC did.

I’m not sure what the next step is. I don’t know what I should do, if anything. I don’t know if my GPU is fried or my PSU is fried, or perhaps both. I’m a broke college student with about $46 to my name so I’m really hoping I don’t have to replace anything substantial. If anyone has suggestions or questions, please let me know. I’m open to anything. Thanks everyone.

CPU - Intel i7-6700k
GPU - Zotak GTX 960
PSU - EVGA 650W B5 series

Solution
Take the gpu out and try using the integrated graphics. If you are lucky you only killed the gpu. If the psu failed and took the gpu with it there could be other damage.