Graphics card still overheating after applying thermal paste

Blaze86

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
hey guys

I got GeForce GTX550 Ti. It started overheating recently I took it out and discovered the thermal paste inside it has dried out.
I re-applied the thermal paste yesterday. But the card still keeps overheating to 58C after I have my PC on for 30mins. Not playing any games or anything. I discovered one thing if I restart my PC once and then put it to sleep for 15-20mins the overheating seems to go away the temperature seems to stay at 28C - 30C after I do those things.
Does it mean I have done it wrongly? :??:
Do I have to clean the card and re-apply the paste again?

Rukeith

Honorable
Oct 14, 2014
Is it 58c whilst gaming or when browsing and running less hardware intensive stuff?

Also, is your card overclocked? How is airflow in your case, any dust? Room temps?

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Have you tried formatting or clearing all old drivers and reinstalling everything? Also, install something like MSI's Afterburner to track usage on the GPU. It might be that some software is incorrectly loading the GPU when it's not supposed to be in use.

Blaze86

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Guys

Its 58C while not gaming. At the moment I am just running web browser and its 58C and GPU core shows 98% load
I havent tried re-installing drivers. What the best way to remove drivers completely and install fresh ones?
I got GPU temp and monitors temperature and load on core memory etc
I shall get MSI's Afterburner and try it out

Blaze86

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
No its not overclocked or anything. The card and PC case is dust free cleaned it all yesterday. Room temp is 20C and airflow is good same as I always had before this whole overheating issue came around

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
It's drivers. Use CC Cleaner to remove all Nvidia drivers and install them fresh. If that doesn't work, format.

EDIT: I say it's the drivers because your GPU should be under very, very little load while browsing the internet or something. Like, 5% at most. The fact that the GPU is loaded completely full tells me it's definitely software-related. Fresh drivers is always a good idea, but if the problem doesn't go away it may be seated deeper (perhaps corrupt OS and not specifically GFX drivers) and a format will most probably fix it.

Blaze86

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Guys

Its PC restarted by itself! Well the thing is the core is at 98% load but after few restarts it seems to normalize like last night I even played a game for just under an hour the temps stayed below 48C after exiting the game. So I dont think its a malware issue I constantly scan my pc for malware..
Will try fresh drivers and will let you know guys

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Well its really not normal for it to be 98% load in windows.

Blaze86

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014

Well could it not be the problem with graphics card itself? I kept using it for a while until I got the thermal paste.
What if I messed up the card?

I re-installed drivers and now the temp seems to be fine so far..
But I had the same thing last night, the temps were high after I applied thermal paste so PC restarts by itself cos it was constantly on 58C then I put the PC to sleep for 30mins, I put it back on and it was performing fine whole last night..
Even played a game.. No overheating issue..
And this morning the overheating issue is back again..

It seems to be at 28C now had the pc on for 30mins after all the restarts etc

The problem seems to come back when I keep PC turned off for a while and when putting it back on it starts behaving like that overheating and GPU under constant loads and it takes several restarts till all the overheating goes away...

Blaze86

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
It keeps overheating 57C and GPU core 97% drivers didint help :(
I shall re-install operating system and hopefully it goes away.
But If it doesnt then what else could it be? Could it be the GFX itself?

I only had this GFX for 2 years.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

57'c isnt overheating. But 97% load in windows is not right, something is loading the GPU causing it to get hotter.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Exactly, why I suspected a bitcoin mining virus:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/129110-got-a-bitcoin-mining-virus-on-my-pc-gpu-is-under-full-load-when-idle/

Blaze86

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Well my graphics card used to be 28C -30C when not playing games so 57C seems like overheating to me when not running games..

Yes I put everything back the right way, only thing I could not get it the first time so had to move it around a bit to get the screw holes right maybe that messed up the thermal paste I applied in there and caused some problems? I heard that you have to get it right the first time so it sticks nicely etc

Blaze86

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014

Thanks man I am gonna try and do those steps and hopefully its not my GFX

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Interesting, I didn't even consider that. Specially since the problem seems to have arrived only with the replacement of the TIM.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Acutally if you read the OP, it was overheating first then he replaced the TIM.

In the ops position, I would do a wipe and fresh install of windows to be sure you have gotten rid of any virus/malware.

Blaze86

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Hey guys

Yeah it was overheating before so I took out the card and checked that the thermal paste was dry and hardly any left. So gave it a nice clean and put fresh thermal paste in..

Right I scanned my computer with those tools suggested on that post but nothing was found..
So I dont think I have malware

So guys the last thing to do is to re-install the OS right??

ghostrider008

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Hey guys
I am back again. I reinstalled windows and my computer was working fine the Graphics card was working absolutely fine for 2 weeks.
But I got the same problem again, today I noticed my GFX is 61C and GPU core is 97% when just using internet.
Could this mean an end to my graphics card??

Also is there a program that could show me what's exactly using my GPU core? So I can identify those programs that load my GPU

Update: I restarted my PC and the the graphics card seems to be fine its at 30C and GPU load is between 0% -20% Max
Could this be related to issues with my PSU?? I've been suspecting my PSU for a while, I think its not been working great

Update: Its back to overheating again 60C and 97%GPU core when running web browser only

Update: I changed my V-sync to adaptive