Dec 27, 2020
Current Build:
Dell Prebuilt, Inspiron 5680
Intel 8700
GTX 1080
16 GB RAM

So, a while ago, a friend gave me her old 1080 (originally had a 1060 3GB) after she updated her own rig. It took a bit of finagling but I eventually managed to get it working with my system with 0 problems afterwards. Ran perfectly, even under intense loads.

Fast forward to about a month ago, I had to run some VMs for a Windows Server class, using VirtualBox. Server 2016 locks up my entire computer, and then I have to do a hard shutdown. Afterwards, my computer stopped displaying entirely. After removing my card, it would display through the motherboard graphics, which was weird to me seeing as the Intel Integrated Graphics drivers were disabled.

So, I repeated the process that I did when first installing my 1080: uninstalled old drivers, enabled Intel MultiDisplay in the BIOS, reinstalled the graphics card, boot through onboard graphics, reinstall drivers, and then disable Intel Integrated Graphics. However, every time the computer went to sleep or restarted, the same problem happens again. It's especially problematic because when I initially installed the graphics card, I had to disable Intel MultiDisplay in the BIOS in order for the card to function without any display problems. But if it never displays through either the onboard or on the graphics card, I can't exactly get into the BIOS to disable that function. It's worth noting that sometimes, after unplugging and replugging in both ends of the HDMI cable, it would display the log in screen. In addition, I have plugged the graphics card back into my friends old machine, and it works with 0 problems.

Recently, I reset Windows. I reinstall the drivers, and bam, everything's working perfectly again. Except, a day afterwards, same problems occur. For some reason, enabling Intel MultiDisplay worked as a temporary solution, and then allowed me to use the computer for a little while. But, after two sleep cycles, same problem occurs. I'm now completely at a loss on what to do here. Has anyone else had a similar problem/anyone have any advice? In any case, I appreciate you reading my post.

Solution
Okay, so a few updates: I tried updating the BIOS, still same issues. When I tried the UEFI BIOS option, it just launched me back into the Dell BIOS screen. MultiDisplay is what allows me to use the onboard graphics when installing a new graphics card ( I have no idea why, it's just what online forums recommended that I do. I can try it without it on and see if that works). Also, I checked out DDU, and it says that it might be risky to use seeing as I'm on the latest windows version (19042). Is it still worth a shot on that end? And the PSU is on the lower side at 460W, but I did have it working under intense load for over a month with no issue. It was only after that hard crash after using VirtualBox that it stopped working.
Current Build:
Intel 8700
GTX 1080
16 GB RAM

So, a while ago, a friend gave me her old 1080 (originally had a 1060 3GB) after she updated her own rig. It took a bit of finagling but I eventually managed to get it working with my system with 0 problems afterwards. Ran perfectly, even under intense loads.

Fast forward to about a month ago, I had to run some VMs for a Windows Server class, using VirtualBox. Server 2016 locks up my entire computer, and then I have to do a hard shutdown. Afterwards, my computer stopped displaying entirely. After removing my card, it would display through the motherboard graphics, which was weird to me seeing as the Intel Integrated Graphics drivers were disabled.

So, I repeated the process that I did when first installing my 1080: uninstalled old drivers, enabled Intel MultiDisplay in the BIOS, reinstalled the graphics card, boot through onboard graphics, reinstall drivers, and then disable Intel Integrated Graphics. However, every time the computer went to sleep or restarted, the same problem happens again. It's especially problematic because when I initially installed the graphics card, I had to disable Intel MultiDisplay in the BIOS in order for the card to function without any display problems. But if it never displays through either the onboard or on the graphics card, I can't exactly get into the BIOS to disable that function. It's worth noting that sometimes, after unplugging and replugging in both ends of the HDMI cable, it would display the log in screen. In addition, I have plugged the graphics card back into my friends old machine, and it works with 0 problems.

Recently, I reset Windows. I reinstall the drivers, and bam, everything's working perfectly again. Except, a day afterwards, same problems occur. For some reason, enabling Intel MultiDisplay worked as a temporary solution, and then allowed me to use the computer for a little while. But, after two sleep cycles, same problem occurs. I'm now completely at a loss on what to do here. Has anyone else had a similar problem/anyone have any advice? In any case, I appreciate you reading my post.
When running with Intel Multidisplay enabled, do you connect the screen to the motherboard or to the GeForce? Have you installed Virtualbox again? Have you checked Dell's website for a BIOS update for your system?

Dec 27, 2020
When running with Intel Multidisplay enabled, do you connect the screen to the motherboard or to the GeForce? Have you installed Virtualbox again? Have you checked Dell's website for a BIOS update for your system?

I typically start connected to the motherboard, and then after verifying that the 1080 is working properly in device manager, switch over to the 1080. And I have not installed VirtualBox again, thankfully that class is over and I don't have to use it anymore. And there is a BIOS update, I will do that and post an update afterwards.

Current Build:
Intel 8700
GTX 1080
16 GB RAM

You shouldn't have to disable or change the intel integrated graphics settings.

Go to UEFI BIOS and make sure enable "Initialize External Graphics first" It will most likely be under PEG options or might be labeled "Initialize PEG first" PEG = PCI External Graphics

Go into safe mode and run DDU (Device Driver Uninstall)

Reboot windows.

Install the 1080 drivers.

What is the PSU power rating on the DELL btw? Dell PSU's aren't the best and are typically borderline acceptable for low end external PSU's

Dec 27, 2020
Okay, so a few updates: I tried updating the BIOS, still same issues. When I tried the UEFI BIOS option, it just launched me back into the Dell BIOS screen. MultiDisplay is what allows me to use the onboard graphics when installing a new graphics card ( I have no idea why, it's just what online forums recommended that I do. I can try it without it on and see if that works). Also, I checked out DDU, and it says that it might be risky to use seeing as I'm on the latest windows version (19042). Is it still worth a shot on that end? And the PSU is on the lower side at 460W, but I did have it working under intense load for over a month with no issue. It was only after that hard crash after using VirtualBox that it stopped working.

Most BIOSes allow you to set the IGPU to 2 or 3 settings :
  • enabled (setting may be absent, see below)
  • auto (enabled if no PCI GPU detected; defining the RAM amount may force enable it)
  • disabled (some BIOSes override it if no PCI card detected and make it behave as auto)
There is a chance that your PSU is indeed too weak, and that it shuts itself down right after being detected - thus forcing the IGPU to activate to allow the system to boot, which then enables power saving mode on the PCI card allowing it to start.
A PSU taxed at maximum for a while like yours can weaken. Replace it - 550W minimum.

As an aside, I'm not surprised to see Windows 10 displaying a desktop using the IGPU even if you have no driver installed : it's simply working in VESA mode and software rendering. This allows Windows to set a screen definition and to draw stuff, however moving windows around or playing a movie back will usually be VERY jerky.

Solution
Dec 27, 2020
Most BIOSes allow you to set the IGPU to 2 or 3 settings :
  • enabled (setting may be absent, see below)
  • auto (enabled if no PCI GPU detected; defining the RAM amount may force enable it)
  • disabled (some BIOSes override it if no PCI card detected and make it behave as auto)
There is a chance that your PSU is indeed too weak, and that it shuts itself down right after being detected - thus forcing the IGPU to activate to allow the system to boot, which then enables power saving mode on the PCI card allowing it to start.
A PSU taxed at maximum for a while like yours can weaken. Replace it - 550W minimum.

As an aside, I'm not surprised to see Windows 10 displaying a desktop using the IGPU even if you have no driver installed : it's simply working in VESA mode and software rendering. This allows Windows to set a screen definition and to draw stuff, however moving windows around or playing a movie back will usually be VERY jerky.
In terms of the BIOS customization advice, I would try that, but the Dell BIOS is very limited it seems, and unfortunately doesn't give me any options like that. But I think that you're probably right on the power supply front. I'll plug in my old graphics card and install those drivers to verify that it's the power supply. In any case, I really do appreciate your reply.

TRENDING THREADS