Question Graphics card stops working from time to time, but works if its unplugged and kept in a box for 4 or more days ?

barry45

Reputable
Jul 5, 2020
i have a almost 3 yrs old GTX 1050 TI mini 4gb (single fan, no external power connector) from Zotac

So heres the issue, started about an year ago, the gpu doesnt get detected at boot and so it doesnt work, but if i keep it unplugged for 4 or more days then it again starts working.
when this first happened it was under warranty according to the bill which said 3 yrs warrant but apparently i should have registered it when new to get 3 yrs, otherwise it was 2 yrs warranty only.

Had a long argument with the dealer and then they got it fixed externally and told me the "controller of the gpu died but they fixed it and asked me not to use DVI port which i never did ever.

So since a year it stops working like doesnt get detected in boot no matter what settings i tweak or uninstall reinstall drivers nothing workis.
but if i unplug it and keep it for 4 or more days it works. having been using it like this for a year now.

Can someone help me figure out the issue?

tried it in other PCs when it stops working but no luck. It like it has a mind of its own and fixes itself within 4 days of breaking.

I was thinking could this be a static electricity problem like maybe one of the capacitators store it and then it messed with the gpu and it gets discharged and works again when kept in the box for some days?

Pls help, i am not financially well enough right now to afford a new gpu with the prices reaching the sky (in India)

I work 6 days a week and it makes me sad if i cant even play a game on the single day i get as a holiday :/

Please help, thank you.

barry45

Reputable
Jul 5, 2020
my gpu works if i put it in the original box for a night, the longer i keep it in the longer it works i have noticed that.
Last night it worked and i ran furmark on it and it was working like a charm, even overclocked it a bit +170 core clock and +750 memory clock, voltage @100% and it gave me about 5 more FPS in furmark.

when it works it works like brand new even the temps dont go above 65 degree no matter how much load i put on it.

i did open the heatsink and fan and cleaned the PCB of the gpu fully and also applied new thermal paste.

it did that before inserting it in the cpu after keeping it in a box for like 2 nights .
it worked for like 1 hour before it stopped while i was playing GTA online
it has also stopped working before when my pc was idle and gpu usage was like 1%