Graphics card suddenly couldn`t be detected, fans spinning

h33wkn

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Alright im not the best in IT so i`ll do my best to explain my situation.

I turned on my pc and my two screens (connected to the graphics card) wouldn`t find a connection. When i plug the HDMI in to the motherboard the screen connects so its safe to presume it`t not the screens or cables. I dont know that much about my graphics card, but i know its a MSI Nvidia Geforce Gtx 660.

I haven`t done anything unusual, the only thing i can imagine being the problem would either be some issues with the ports since i haven`t cleaned them in a long time, or that i haven`t downloaded the latest update from Nvidia Experience.

I tried to install the latest drivers from geforce but it says i don`t have the necessary component to install it.

In the bios is says the slot where the graphics card i placed is empty, and unit management in windows says the same thing. I have a friend who`s going to lend me an exact copy of the card and hopefully it works.

Beyond that, is there room for suspicion that the motherboard might be faulty?

Solution

JustCallMeAllen

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014

If the card your friend loans you works, then it won't be the motherboard. You can safely assume it would be the GPU and that you would need a replacement. Unfortunately, GPU's die. It happens in the computer component world. Your best bet is to see how your friend's card works. If it doesn't work, then it is your motherboard. Have you had any problems with the card before? Have you changed anything in your machine?

Solution

Akikage12

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
I have the EXACT same problem on the EXACT same date as you. mine is also a palit 660ti please tell me if your problem gets fixed. In my case my PSU is fine checked with multimeter and my BIOS doesnt detect the hardware. Could it be some sort of update thats done it?