Graphics card suddenly giving black screen and isn't being recognised.

tyreal42a

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hello,

I have an Asus Radeon R9 270x that I purchased around Christmas 2013. Nearly 2 and a half years ago. Last Christmas (2015), I built a new PC, but used my old GPU.

Here are the specs.

Intel Core i5 6600 @ 3.30GHz
Asus Radeon R9 270x
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B150M-D3H DDR3-CF (U3E1)
Corsair CS550M Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
BenQ G2220HD (1920x1080@64Hz)
Windows 10 64bit

It was working fine for about 4 months with the new setup. 2 days ago, while loading up a game, it suddenly gave a blue screen and windows 10 gave an error about drivers and reset. It seemed fine after that until the following night when trying to play a game. It gave a black screen this time and upon rebooting, loaded up in BIOS. When trying to boot, it gave a black screen after the windows logo loads and wouldn't boot. I had to go in through safe mode. I'm not the most computer literate person, but after browsing similar threads, I tried using both Display driver uninstaller and driver fusion to remove all previous drivers, used CCCleaner to fix registry, reseated the GPU and tried to install the latest drivers. It gets to about 16%, flashes off and gives a black screen again.

Loading the PC without the drivers works fine, even without safe mode. But in device manager, it lists my display device as Microsoft basic display adapter, not as my radeon card. If I try to update drivers in device manager using it, I also get a black screen. The 2 lights on the GPU are on, as well as both fans and my monitor which connects to it is still working.

I did notice that this coincided with the new Crimson Edition 16.4.2 Hotfix drivers release date which I believe I had on auto update, but I also tried the Crimson Edition 16.3.2 drivers and still get the black screen.

Is this likely a software issue or a hardware one? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Multirail means that PSU has separate channels, actually separate regulators for main (20 or 24 pin) connectors for main MB and separate one(s) for other components like PCIe graphic cards.
Single rail means that there is only one regulator for all the 12v leads.
You can see that on the sticker on the side of PSU.
That smacks at 3D part gone haywire, working in 2D mode but with proper drivers going black. Can you RMA it, still in warranty ?
There is also a chance that PSU is loosing it's power, Is it single or multi rail ? How many amps at PCIe rail if multi ?

tyreal42a

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
I was thinking maybe it was just using intergrated graphics. I'm asking ASUS about the warranty now and hoping it's 3 years and going to RMA it. As for your other questions, sorry, as I said, I'm not very tech savvy so have no idea what you mean. How do I find out? I see no mention of if it's single or multi rail on my power supply's description that I can find. Thanks, though.

Update: I checked around and apparently it's single. And sorry, I thought the down arrow was for replying. Didn't mean to click that.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/26263 is where I got it.

Multirail means that PSU has separate channels, actually separate regulators for main (20 or 24 pin) connectors for main MB and separate one(s) for other components like PCIe graphic cards.
Single rail means that there is only one regulator for all the 12v leads.
You can see that on the sticker on the side of PSU.

Solution