Question Graphics Card Suddenly Showing No Signal

May 13, 2021
I have a system with the following specs:

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980 ti SC+
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
PSU: Cooler Master MWE White 600

It has worked perfectly for months and now suddenly I'm getting a very annoying issue. At any random point, the signal from the graphics card will suddenly drop and my screens go black and show the "No signal" sign. I then have to restart the PC (from the on/off switch) at which point it will then work perfectly. The issue will then occur again. It seems to occur completely at random. Sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after a few days and it does not seem to be related to load. As it has sometimes happened while gaming, sometimes happened while surfing the internet, sometimes it has happened when the PC is idle, It has even happened a few times while the pc is booting up windows.

The PC is hooked up to two Think Vision T24i-10 monitors; one with HDMI and one with DP, when the issue happens, it affects both monitors. I have also tried changing the cables and changing the ports on the GPU but it does not solve the issue.

I have also tried clean reinstall of the graphics card drivers using DDU but this has not solved the issue either.

It really seems like more of a software issue than a hardware issue but I'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions?

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Well, the only real thing you could do is to try first to see what happens with a single monitor, then try the gpu in another build. It's quite an old gpu and it might show signs that is dying out. Especially when you say it happens in idle and not just while under stress (which then could be caused by the psu). It even happens during booting, so that takes out the software part of it im afraid. I really think it's just the card dying out.

May 13, 2021
Well, the only real thing you could do is to try first to see what happens with a single monitor, then try the gpu in another build. It's quite an old gpu and it might show signs that is dying out. Especially when you say it happens in idle and not just while under stress (which then could be caused by the psu). It even happens during booting, so that takes out the software part of it im afraid. I really think it's just the card dying out.
I was thinking this might be the case, but really hoping it would be something else. Since its VERY difficult to get hold of GPU's at the moment!

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
I feel you man. As i said, try putting the card on another build. A friend, a sibling, a family member. Just make sure you use ddu each time. That's the only way to exclude the card. But as i told you already, i feel like it's the card simply dying out.