Graphics Card Suddenly Stopped Sending Output

Anhedonist

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
Yesterday my pc behaved normally; I turned off my pc, and went to bed. When I woke up, I turned it on, and got no signal on my monitor. I experimented a bit with different cables, monitors, and outputs, and found that my integrated graphics card still works fine, but the one I added in some years ago after I initially purchased the pc provides no output to speak of, having tried both it's HDMI and DVI port.

The card, which I'd been using for about 3-4 years, is a Radeon HD 7900, and the integrated card on the mobo is a Radeon HD 7660d. I didn't add any drivers, update any part of my pc, or even move or knock the pc tower, so I have NO CLUE what changed to cause this issue.

I have confirmed that even with other monitors/displays the 7900 provides no output, and the integrated 7660d works with my original monitor and others. I opened the pc up to check to see if there were any obvious glaring issues and to check that everything was firmly in place, and there were no problems. The card appears to turn on with the rest of the pc, the fans and lights coming online with it.

I'm a bit reluctant to do more hardware diagnostics since I've got shaky hands and a history of screwing up hardware repair and installations. I have no other pc to test the card in, so to do that I'd pretty much need to bring in outside help.

Is my card fried? Can I get it working again?

Specs:
PC Model & Motherboard: HP p7-1298c
CPU: AMD A10 5700 APU with Radeon HD Graphics [that's the 7660d]
RAM: 12gb
GPU: Radeon HD 7900 / Radeon HD 7660d

Solution
Really the only thing you can do to check if it's the card is to test it in another computer. Nothing else will verify the card as bad unless you replace components around it to make sure it's not the power supply or motherboard.