Graphics card temps

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I have brand new MSI 7900GTXs, and about a hour and a half into using it on Call of Duty 2, its started peeking 120 degrees Farenheit. So i immedialtely shut down my computer, and let it cool off. These cards werent running 24/7 and like i said, didnt stay on to long. Also im getting lower fps marks in games. In COD2, im getting about 90Fps which is reallly low. Also is their anyway to turn off SLi yet still use the bridge to connect both to see through 1 monitor. really needing some help. Thanks.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
my ambient temp in the room is roughly 75 degrees farenheit, but it is also upstairs. here are my system specs:

2 MSI 7900GTXs
Coolermaster liquid radiator fan(directly over CPU)
2 120mm fans(one on side panel, one behind harddrive) 1 80mm(facing sound card and 2nd gfx card)
Maxtor 300GB Hdd
X-fi xtrememusic
Aspire 680w
Corsair value select ddr 400 2GB

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Im just getting nervous because this is brand new, and i dont want to start RMAing things. I already had to do that with My physix card. When i touch one of the cards, its warm. Also, is their a way to turn off SLi, yet still use the bridge to have both cards show through 1 monitor?

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
reason i dont want SLi in use, because i get these 2 lines on my screen, and in between them, i have this green box that expands and contracts and at the top of the column it says SLi. I think the green box is showing the activity of the video card, but i only see this in game, and its quite a bit of a distraction to me, does anyone here know how to get rid of that?

Cody_7

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
reason i dont want SLi in use, because i get these 2 lines on my screen, and in between them, i have this green box that expands and contracts and at the top of the column it says SLi. I think the green box is showing the activity of the video card, but i only see this in game, and its quite a bit of a distraction to me, does anyone here know how to get rid of that?

There should be a setting within your drivers to turn this off. I don't know how, though, becasue i'm not an SLi user :)

Oh, and DON'T worry about the temps of your video card! I have a CoolerMaster Centurion 5 case (Completley mesh in the front for air flow) and two 120MM fans. My X800XL (Not nearly top of the line) gets up to 87C. Let's see... that's 188F!. My card also idles around 52C.

Listen. You should probably monitor your cards in celcius. And if it gets anywhere about 95C, then you should worry. Your video card temp is nothign to worry about!

P.S. You should run in 1600x1200 only if you think it looks sharper to you. My advice would be to run it in 1024x768 with 4xAA or 6xAA. That would look great.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
thanks a lot everyone, i really appreciate the help, as of now, my gfxs cards have not peaked 57 degrees celsisus, which i am Now proud of. Lol. In return to the statement you brought up about it being the SLi thing in my drivers to turn off, is it possible if i download new updates, that it could go away? Or would it be in my driver still? Anyways thanks for the help on the temperature, that was my main priority.