Question Graphics card to substitute Intel onboard graphics software for Windows 11 ?

ineuw01

Prominent
Apr 13, 2023
I need to substitute the onboard Intel graphics, because Intel/Windows 11 video driver no longer permits defining 16:9 resolutions other than 1920x1080. This is a software issue and not hardware, because I use Linux where I define true 16:9 resolutions using 'xrandr' from this list https://pacoup.com/2011/06/12/list-of-true-169-resolutions/.

Can someone recommend a standard graphics card that includes their own proprietary software that can modify the resolutions in Windows 11?

Last edited:

ineuw01

Prominent
Apr 13, 2023
I would have mentioned it if it was relevant. Unfortunately, Intel and MS confirmed that they won't be providing other true 16:9 resolutions. The specs match yours, but I don't play games or heavy graphics, my work is text based and I want the clarity based on 12+ years of experience with 16:9.

What I need to know if GeForce software includes resolution modification?

ineuw01

Prominent
Apr 13, 2023
Thanks for the youtube link which provided a memory refresh. Downloaded CRU 1.5.2 and managed to add my preferred 16:9 resolution. It works, but windows 11 font size is hidden in the registry.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe I'm missing something here, but 1920x1080, 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 are all 16:9 resolutions and the single most common aspect ratio for modern monitors and tvs. So why they'd not be including above 1080p makes zero sense.

Unless you are using vga.

Both amd and nvidia support includes all resolutions upto the ability of the processor to support, and there is a difference between playback/2d and interactive/3d. You can run 4k playback on a gtx 750ti all day long (max digital resolution of 4096x2160), no worries, but 3d isn't going to be pretty.

ineuw01

Prominent
Apr 13, 2023
@Karadjgne, I am smiling, because the concept of using a monitor other than graphics and gaming is lost on most of computer users.

My computer use is 80% reading and text editing on Wikipedia sites to which I contribute using a browser. 20% for entertainment like streaming, and composing posts such as this.

My settings are a visual requirement for clarity. I am using a standard 24" LG 24BK430H-B monitor set to 1664 x 964 - a standard 16:9 resolution. This modification is no longer possible where Microsoft, and even Linux is promoting screen magnification by percentage. This is partially effective because a lot of software doesn't adhere to the magnification, regardless what the operating system offers, and hopes for.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
@Karadjgne, I am smiling, because the concept of using a monitor other than graphics and gaming is lost on most of computer users.
For many years I ran a couple of chat rooms, essentially the precursor of myspace/facebook, all text based, also gamed on zmud which was fully text based D&D style games, so graphical ability was a moot point, I had intellivision and NES and atari for graphics.

So totally get the non-graphics usage.

What I wonder though is if instead of using that custom resolution, would it be possible to use the standard 1920x1080 but just increase font size to match the custom resolution point size?

ineuw01

Prominent
Apr 13, 2023
This is what I observed about display scaling: It modifies the system object sizes and fonts as expected, but it affects only those apps' appearance which are designed to accommodate/inherit system settings. When not, there are additional modifications I must make to accommodate the trained eye.—My eyesight is perfect, but a lifetime of precision work trained them to notice anomalies of font size and the clarity of their display.

Currently, the CRU utility added my preferred 1664 x 936 display resolution, and is giving me the exact opposite results. System objects and captions remain at 1920 x 1080, but the apps running in windows are modified and display as they should.