Question Graphics card turns off after 2 seconds on system boot

Jan 25, 2021
I've just purchased a used RX 570 which worked fine the first day of use, but since day two it will turn itself off after two second on boot. The fans start spinning and the "Radeon" logo led lights up but then it immediately goes dark and I get no signal, even though the rest of the system seems to boot.

The card doesn't show up in device manager if I use the onboard graphics to get into Windows. My R9 280X works fine in the same computer. My PSU is a Corsair CX750M which otherwise seems to work fine. I've tried reseating the card and the reconnecting the PCIe power cable around 20 times and two times it has booted normally again, but after I power off the computer the gpu won't boot again. I tried the card in an older computer with the same results (although unsure whether that PSU was sufficient).

So what I've got here is a graphics card that always "dies" during the boot sequence except for three times right after I've put it in. Is it just a faulty card, or does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021
What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)?

Corsair CX750M
Asrock h110m-DGS
core i7-7700
8gb Crucial DDR4-ram 2600mhz
Sapphire RX 570 Nitro
Some Kingston SSD SATA

That's from memory. I can look into exact model of Ram and SSD later.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021
That system should be able to handle a fully functional RX570 with no issues. Do you have access to another system to test the RX570 in?

Yes, I tried it in another computer which has a Xeon 1246v3 , and otherwise similarly specced but with DDR3 memory. Same problem there. That one only has a 430watt PSU though. It's the only other computer I have easy access to.

Jan 25, 2021
Just an update. I actually found out that the card works every time after I reboot the computer instead of shutting it off completely. It never works on a "cold start", but if I just open the bios and then choose "save and exit" (without changing anything) so the computer reboots, then the graphics card comes alive! Does anyone have any idea why this could be? It'd be great if I didn't have to do this every time I start the computer, but right now I'm just pleased it actually works.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021
Previous one was the R9 280X. I did do a DDU and also a windows reinstall, but for other reasons. The problem arises before Windows loads however, so I assumed it couldn't be driver related?