Graphics Card under stress = Lose my wireless internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jc27141

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
As the subject states, regardless of what game. I've noticed since upgrading my computer to:

Time of this report: 7/19/2012, 14:02:29
Machine name:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7673
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/22/12 08:12:34 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8164MB RAM
Page File: 4221MB used, 12103MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 570
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1081&SUBSYS_15723842&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4049 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1233 MB
Shared Memory: 2816 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Name: X193HQL (Analog)
Monitor Model: V223W
Monitor Id: ACR001B
Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.954Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0013.0142 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.13.142

I've noticed through MSI Afterburner (the graphs), that whenever my graphics card is using more then ~35% of its power I lose my internet connection. Is this likely my mother board at fault? Any help would be appreciated.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Could be a PSU issue. When your graphic cards start to require more power it maybe begins to starve the motherboard and in your case the wireless adapter isn't getting enough juice. What make and model of PSU do you have?

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I don't think it is a lack of power then that is causing your problem as the PSU seems to be relatively solid with good reviews. A few people have mentioned on review sites that the modular cables sometimes work themselves loose especially to the motherboard but would be surely too much of a coincidence to happen at the same time as your GPU goes over 35% load. Hmmmm.

I gather that to take it over 35% load you are gaming? If so are you gaming online at the time or is it at any time it reaches 35%?

Jc27141

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I've only noticed it so far while gaming, I could run a benchmark to test it while not gaming. As far as whether it only happens when I'm gaming online, that doesn't make a difference. Happens with offline games and online games.

Jc27141

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I feel like my only recourse is to try swapping components out till it goes away. But that seems expensive :-( The first one I would try is my motherboard. I feel it is the most likely culprit.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Right sorry JC all this time I assumed that the wireless was onboard hence why you thought that it was the motherboard. From looking at the specs of your wireless card it could be a couple of things (you may have already tried these) :

1. It has a operating temperature of upto 60c so could it be possible that the heat from your graphics card is pushing the wireless card over this temp and it is shutting down? Is your 570 a reference model or with a custom cooloer?

2. Try different PCI slots and test to see if it happens but have a look at these reviews and see if anything is similar : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-166-051&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

I would personally point my finger at the card rather than your motherboard now but trying to explain the relation between GPU load and loss of connectivity is a head scratcher other than the operating temps.

As you suggested earlier try and run something like 3D mark to push your GPU outside of a game and monitor its temps / load to see if / when it cuts off your connection. Come back and we will go from there.

sbogus

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Gee, that is bizzare. Do you have any other PCIe devices? Have you tried a different slot? What is your power plan set to? Try setting it to 'High Performance', if it isn't set there already, and then make sure that 'Link State Power Management' under 'PCI Express' is toggled to off. There's only one 16x PCIe lane on the board, from what I can tell; maybe the card saturates the lane and the NIC starves? Weird!

InvalidError

Titan

Could be EMI from the GPU scrambling WiFi since WiFi frequencies may correspond to harmonics of the GPU's core and DRAM operating frequencies depending on model.

One way to test that would be to setup a grounded copper-clad board between the GPU and WiFi card and see if that helps. Tin/aluminum foil could also be used but would be more difficult to safely hold/secure in place to avoid shorts.

Jc27141

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

Interesting theory, this seems plausible because I've found no problems when connected through ethernet. Before jury rigging anything, I'll try shuffling my wifi card and sound blaster card around and see if that helps.

Jc27141

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Tried shuffling around the cards, didnt work.

All of a sudden it hit me! I turned on furmark, got my GPU to 99% usage and ran speedtest on my droid razr while holding it right next to my cards antenna. Guess what happened?

Loss of nearly all wireless functionality.

Clearly the card is interfering with the wireless signal somehow, any work arounds?

I suppose i could get a card that has corded antenna to keep them away from the card?

went with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812997086 we'll see if it works.

I would try changing the channel that it uses.

660px-NonOverlappingChannels2.4GHzWLAN-en.svg.png

This is a handy guide to have around, maybe you can fiddle with the frequency and find on that isn't polluted by whatever is causing this?

Nov 7, 2018
Hi,

This seems to come up every few years, some have found a workaround. Interestingly this thread is about a desktop, but still might be some connection. You may look at this post about an MSI laptop:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=249580.100

Or my post about my Asus laptop:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3817923/stressing-gpu-packet-loss-network-dropping-wifi.html

Basically what we did was to set the WiFi bandwidth to 20MHz only. That worked for me, so let me cross-post that here:

-On Windows, go to "Device Manager>Network adapters>Intel(R) Wireless AC 9560>Properties>Advanced" (or any other wireless adapter that you have)
-Set both "Channel Width for 2.4GHz" and "Channel Width for 5GHz" from "Auto" to "20 MHz Only"

Status
Not open for further replies.