Graphics card underpowered...?

CTT302

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
So, this gpu I want requires 48A on the +12 volt rail. My CX600 only outputs 46A under 30C. Will the card run fine or will I have to replace my PSU AGAIN?

Shneiky

Distinguished
Corsair CX series is low-end PSUs. Don't get me wrong, they are not that bad that they will dramatically explode, they are just average. If you had your PSU for over an year, the chances are that the PSU will have lower output than the stated. It is inherent to PSUs. PSUs always lose some of their initial capacity. Higher quality PSUs degrade slower and much less dramatic than cheap low-quality ones. If you give us more information - what GPU model, brand and maker you are looking for, we can provide further assistance.

CTT302

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

What about a 40A card? will that put the PSU under massive load?
btw plus that PSU was almost $100 and is 80 plus bronze, in my opinion its good psu

Shneiky

Distinguished
Corsair CX used to be manufactured by Seasonic. Since 2 or 3 years (if I recall correctly) it is manufactured by CWT and it is of a considerably lower quality than what it used to be. Corsair is using the brand name to sell them for more than they are actually worth. Also the 80+ certification is a certification of efficiency, not of quality. Some 80+ Bronze are more robust than Silver for example. But Corsair CX PSUs are not the best quality for the money. Same as Cooler Master. You can always find higher quality PSU for the same price compared to many of the Cooler Master PSUs (and this is coming from a Cooler Master die-hard fanboy). As I said, please tell us the exact model, brand and manufacturer of the video card so we can help further.

leeb2013

Honorable
48A is the max the card will take with stock clocks. Your CPU (whatever you have) will also take 8-15 Amps. Your CX600 will likely to be pushed to it's limit and beyond, resulting in frequent shutdowns and possible damage, when doing anything demanding.

I've seen over 700W pushing 2 x 7950 and I5, your 6990 is 2 x 7970, if you have an AMD FX CPU, they suck juice like it's free!