Graphics Card Update For AMD FX8350

Dec 31, 2018
I have an AMD FX 8350 Eight Core system, with 32 GB or RAM my current GPU is a Nividia 960 series. I built the system myself, I mainly only use Flight simulator programs. I started out using X Plane 10 and noticed my frame rates on a good day were just over 25FPS but most always hovering about 20FPS. I was very discouraged and stopped using the flight sim for a couple of years or more. I am a disabled veteran so money is an issue, this is why I am looking to see if purchasing an AMD RX 580 8 GB card would do the trick to boost my FPS.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Solution
The RX 580 would be a significant improvement over the GTX 960. You need to make sure your power supply (PSU) is up to the task of powering the new GPU. What make/model PSU do you have?

Also, keep in mind that the AM3+ based FX CPUs are becoming quite dated. You should still see decent performance with FSX and X Plane. Just adjust your game settings as needed to maintain solid frame rates.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The RX 580 would be a significant improvement over the GTX 960. You need to make sure your power supply (PSU) is up to the task of powering the new GPU. What make/model PSU do you have?

Also, keep in mind that the AM3+ based FX CPUs are becoming quite dated. You should still see decent performance with FSX and X Plane. Just adjust your game settings as needed to maintain solid frame rates.

Solution

mgallo848

Commendable
I agree with what COLGeek said but I might consider replacing the CPU/motherboard/memory first.

X Plane 10 doesn't seem to be a very graphic intensive game so even though a RX 580 will be a nice improvement over the GTX 960 I think a newer CPU setup may be even better.

X plane's website says that "X-Plane depends most heavily on single thread CPU performance".

https://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-10-system-requirements/

The FX CPU is dated and even upgrading to a lower-end Ryzen would be a substantial increase.

Also, what PSU do you have? How many watts?

I understand your funds are limited but remember you could recoup some of the money by selling the CPU/motherboard and memory that you have now.

Dec 31, 2018
Thank you for your speedy responses. At the time I built the system I thought that processor would be future proof. I am not sure on the power supply but I will check, I know the AMD RX 580 requires two connections from the supply. I need to check but I think it’s a 700 by Corsair. I am a former UH 1 pilot , grounded now due to MS, I want to get back in that bird somehow thanks again

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Seems you and my father-in-law share a similar desire to "fly". Personally, I enjoyed my time in Hueys (all but one trip in 1985, that is...).