[SOLVED] Graphics card update

simmy

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Hi All

I have an Intel core I5 8600 Coffee Lake CPU with a Prime Z370-P, 8gb DDR running a GeForce GTX 1060 3gb and want to update this card, what should I be able to run on this system?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hi there, this is an old pre-built system right? I would personally not think an upgrade from a 10603gb to an older 2060 6gb is going to give you a massive WOW factor improvement, especially at the inflated prices there are now. The 2060 with 12gb is most likely not going to be much better as the GPU die is the same and if the GPU cannot saturate the memory it is only a marketing gimmick with not must FPS uplift.

My advice would be to hold on until summer next year, save up your cash for a complete system upgrade and hopefully the price of things will be slightly less mad than now. Really if you upgrade you need 2 generations between to get that "hell yay that was so worth it" feeling. Unless getting 120fps instead of 112fps is what...

Lutfij

Titan
Just to clarify, you're asking for suggestions of upgrading the GPU from what you currently own(and not asking for what tasks(app's/games) you can run on the above (partially)listed system? What is the make and model of the PSU powering the current system? How old is the unit? Make and model of your chassis? Aftermarket cooling for the processor?

Reactions: King_V

simmy

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Would like to upgrade if possible, to a Gpu that would run most games today. PSU is integrator 500W, pc is about 3 years old, not sure what chassis is its a Socket 1151 LGA, with no additional fans for processor just a normal Intel fan

simmy

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Sorry did not mean to post the same question three times, not sure what happened!

I think as pc is 3 years old, complete upgrade might be best, with a better PSU, thanks for your help

Hi there, this is an old pre-built system right? I would personally not think an upgrade from a 10603gb to an older 2060 6gb is going to give you a massive WOW factor improvement, especially at the inflated prices there are now. The 2060 with 12gb is most likely not going to be much better as the GPU die is the same and if the GPU cannot saturate the memory it is only a marketing gimmick with not must FPS uplift.

My advice would be to hold on until summer next year, save up your cash for a complete system upgrade and hopefully the price of things will be slightly less mad than now. Really if you upgrade you need 2 generations between to get that "hell yay that was so worth it" feeling. Unless getting 120fps instead of 112fps is what lights your candle.

Cheers

Solution

simmy

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Hi Schlachtwolf

Thanks for the info, it was a pre built system, but partly customised to my specs and at the time it was good, but 3 years on and now I have 4k monitor its starting to flag.

Noticed GPUs are currently expensive and will hold off till summer and review my position again for a total upgrade.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf