[SOLVED] Graphics card upgrade advice please :D i am looking to surprise my brother for his birthday

arees187

Commendable
May 23, 2018
hello my current build is:

asrock p67 pro3 se
intel core i7 2600k
xfx amd 280x double
1tb hard drive
1tb ssd
32gb ram

Looking specifically for a graphics card update upgrade but also interested in other upgrade advice . Thanks in advance

Solution
Cpu will handle 1660s fine, it'll be a really nice step up from the 280x.

PSU on other hand is iffy, quality is questionable and more specifically age. These things just not entirely sure how it'll go. It's lasted this long and probably be fine with the 1660s consuming less power, BUT, if it was me id replace it on age alone. Anti ripple mechanisms in the psu do degrade over time potentially causing power spikes escaping to the components.

If think about it, 10yr warranty. 650w is more than enough.
https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-650f14hg-650w/p/1HU-024C-00007?&quicklink=true

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How much are you willing to spend and place of origin?

Rx580 are going fairly cheap. From there if remain Amd, step up from 580 would be the Rx5600. Nvidia, 1660 Super.

Your psu must be ok running a 280x but ill ask anyway. What's the make and model?

Rest of your specs are good. Couldn't suggest anything else really.

Reactions: arees187

arees187

Commendable
May 23, 2018
How much are you willing to spend and place of origin?

Rx580 are going fairly cheap. From there if remain Amd, step up from 580 would be the Rx5600. Nvidia, 1660 Super.

Your psu must be ok running a 280x but ill ask anyway. What's the make and model?

Rest of your specs are good. Couldn't suggest anything else really.

thank you so much finally a good response that i can work with . the money is no problem i just want the best graphics card for my pc without too much bottleneck . so the best one would be the 1660 super? and for the psu it is k its called "azza dynamo 850w power supply" it's been running well since 2012

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu will handle 1660s fine, it'll be a really nice step up from the 280x.

PSU on other hand is iffy, quality is questionable and more specifically age. These things just not entirely sure how it'll go. It's lasted this long and probably be fine with the 1660s consuming less power, BUT, if it was me id replace it on age alone. Anti ripple mechanisms in the psu do degrade over time potentially causing power spikes escaping to the components.

If think about it, 10yr warranty. 650w is more than enough.
https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-650f14hg-650w/p/1HU-024C-00007?&quicklink=true

Solution

arees187

Commendable
May 23, 2018
thank you so much i will do that . ima get the 1660 super and replace my power supply ! thank you so much for your help boju i really appreciate it . you the only one i seen that gave a straight answer

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Just on another note, if/when you replace psu, remember that any modular cables, cables plugged into the power supply must all be replaced. Not sure if your psu is modular or not/semi modular, but as cable reference, modular psu's can have plug-able (cables not attached to the unit itself) ATX 24pin, CPU 12v (4 or 8pin), Sata (Data cables are fine). Any power related cable connecting from psu to motherboard/drives and also graphics card's PCIe, replace with supplied cables.

Reason being is pinouts aren't unified across brands so positive/negative pins can be in different spots and using existing cables already layed out in the case and swapping psu over for convenience will be a costly mistake.