[SOLVED] Graphics card upgrade for gaming to Gateway DX4870-UR11P

Nov 19, 2019
Hi all,

I have a Gateway DX4870-UR11P that I'd like to upgrade so that my son can get better performance for gaming. He's only 10 so his normal rotation of games isn't bleeding edge - basically it's just Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft, etc.

Here's the link to my current setup: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883113217

For those that don't want to click through, here are the high level specs:
  • Intel Core i7 3770 (3.40 GHz)
  • 10 GB DDR3
  • 2 TB HDD
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (this is original OS - I've upgraded to Windows 10 and regretted it ever since but that's another story)
  • Intel HD Graphics
Power supply is 300W.

I'm generally comfortable cracking open the case and doing basic upgrades so I'm looking for recommendations on a video card upgrade that I could drop in without triggering a lot of other upgrades (power supply, fans, case, etc). I don't really have a budget in mind but I assume my needs will keep it at a somewhat reasonable level.

Happy to attempt to answer questions on anything I left out. Thanks in advance for the help!

Solution
With the base for the system I wouldn't go much higher than a GTX 1060 or 1660 for that system. Anything higher wouldn't benefit much.

However pretty much any decent card will require a PSU upgrade. 300W is too low for most decent GPUs. You would want at minimum a 450W but I would go for a 550W. That PC looks to support a standard ATX PSU so you can buy pretty much any PSU out there, although it would be wise to get at least a Corsair CX550m or the Seasonic 520W PSU.
The issue will be the PSU, if its a standard ATX form factor that is easily upgradable. Without an upgraded PSU the most I would put in that computer would be a GTX 1050, GTX 1050ti(non supplementary power version) or GTX 1650 if you want something newer.

If you can upgrade the PSU with somthing like a 500 or greater PSU then a good pairing for that CPU would be something like a GTX 1660 or 1660ti IMO. Or you can find used GTX 1060s or RX 580s quite cheap these days.

With the base for the system I wouldn't go much higher than a GTX 1060 or 1660 for that system. Anything higher wouldn't benefit much.

However pretty much any decent card will require a PSU upgrade. 300W is too low for most decent GPUs. You would want at minimum a 450W but I would go for a 550W. That PC looks to support a standard ATX PSU so you can buy pretty much any PSU out there, although it would be wise to get at least a Corsair CX550m or the Seasonic 520W PSU.

Solution
Nov 19, 2019
The issue will be the PSU, if its a standard ATX form factor that is easily upgradable. Without an upgraded PSU the most I would put in that computer would be a GTX 1050, GTX 1050ti(non supplementary power version) or GTX 1650 if you want something newer.

If you can upgrade the PSU with somthing like a 500 or greater PSU then a good pairing for that CPU would be something like a GTX 1660 or 1660ti IMO. Or you can find used GTX 1060s or RX 580s quite cheap these days.
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Very helpful information - should be a good guide for me to follow. Thanks again!

Nov 19, 2019

Thanks a lot for the information. Between yours and the other response I've got great direction. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS