Graphics card upgrade on a HP compaq pro 6300 SFF

IanCliff

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017
So i am currently using the HP compaq pro 6300 sff as a gaming machine (not the best but its enough considering i'm on a budget.) I was wondering if a EVGA Nvidia Gt 730 Low Profile would fit/ work in the hp compaq pro 6300 sff?
Useful computer info:
psu 240 Watts (people have already said that this graphics card works on as low as 220 watts0
CPU: 15 3470
Current graphics card (potato) AMD radeon HD 6350
memory 4gb ddr 3 (looking to bump to 8)
Unfortunately buying a new computer and upgrading the psu is not available due to cost and lack of space in the computer.

Solution
This site says you will need to have a PSU that can supply 300W of power for a system that has a GT730 in it.

Even if you could buy a new PSU, the motherboard you have has a proprietary power input connector
c03418407.gif

So finding a unit that is higher than what you have at that form factor is not possible nor will swapping the innards to an ATX case with an ATX PSU will resolve this issue since it'll lack the power connector.

Mind sharing where you're seeing that people are using that GPU on the same system as you?

Lutfij

Titan
This site says you will need to have a PSU that can supply 300W of power for a system that has a GT730 in it.

Even if you could buy a new PSU, the motherboard you have has a proprietary power input connector
c03418407.gif

So finding a unit that is higher than what you have at that form factor is not possible nor will swapping the innards to an ATX case with an ATX PSU will resolve this issue since it'll lack the power connector.

Mind sharing where you're seeing that people are using that GPU on the same system as you?

Solution

IanCliff

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017

Was looking at amazon reviews as well as other threads on this forum.
So the best option is just to buy a new motherboard, PSU, GPU and case. Then move the CPU, RAM and HDD over.
or just buy a new computer.
Thanks for the response.
Other than the ones listed on Hps' website is there anyother low profile graphics cards that are powerful enough to run things like Overwatch and payday 2 resonably well that would work in my computer?

shiyang1127

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017

replying your message with my compaq pro 6300 SFF. I currently have a Zotac GTX 1050Ti in my system (dual fan, low profile), this is pretty much the most powerful card you can put in this system ATM. works like a charm. previously I have a MSI RX550 2GB low profile card. I upgraded to my current video card for better performance. power supply should work out just fine in my case (i5 3470: 92w GTX1050 Ti: 75w. SSD + HDD: 15W. motherboard plus fan: 30w. total: 212w, PSU @ 90% efficiency: 216W. I unplugged my DVD to save a bit of power. I also drilled a couple of holes and mounted 2 x 40mm fans on top for better cooling. with RX550 you shouldn't have any overheating issue though.

I bought both cards from newegg. also don't forget to update your BIOS to 3.04 for better compatibility.

nikiveki

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

I recently got this PC with the same configuration just without SDD. What games could I play at solid framerate if i upgrade with the same gpu?
Thanks

IanCliff

Commendable
Jun 9, 2017
[/quotemsg]
replying your message with my compaq pro 6300 SFF. I currently have a Zotac GTX 1050Ti in my system (dual fan, low profile), this is pretty much the most powerful card you can put in this system ATM. works like a charm. previously I have a MSI RX550 2GB low profile card. I upgraded to my current video card for better performance. power supply should work out just fine in my case (i5 3470: 92w GTX1050 Ti: 75w. SSD + HDD: 15W. motherboard plus fan: 30w. total: 212w, PSU @ 90% efficiency: 216W. I unplugged my DVD to save a bit of power. I also drilled a couple of holes and mounted 2 x 40mm fans on top for better cooling. with RX550 you shouldn't have any overheating issue though.

I bought both cards from newegg. also don't forget to update your BIOS to 3.04 for better compatibility.
[/quotemsg]
if i were to go with the 1050ti would you say that the holes for the extra fans are needed to stop overheating or not?