[SOLVED] graphics card upgrade on lenovo m-3227 desktop?

Dec 19, 2019
will a nvidia gtx 1650 fit in a lenovo m-3227 desktop and is it compatible? my power source is only 230 watts, can i upgrade that also?

Solution
would i be better off with the 1050ti? id like to get 4gb vram if possible.how much bigger does the power supply need to be than card requirements to power the whole system? also, how can i find out if the card will fit physically and plug into my computer? im running x plane 10 on a geforce 710 with 1 gb, id like to get better resolution and frames, and maybe upgrade to x plane 11 but that mite not be possible on my dinosaur lol, thanks

A 230 watt OEM power supply limits you severely in what video cards can run on it, but if you have a 710 you have some "good" news in the fact that the card is so slow almost any other card will be an upgrade LOL.

A 1030 card may be good for that system, it will be about 40 watts max. Another...
Dec 19, 2019
would i be better off with the 1050ti? id like to get 4gb vram if possible.how much bigger does the power supply need to be than card requirements to power the whole system? also, how can i find out if the card will fit physically and plug into my computer? im running x plane 10 on a geforce 710 with 1 gb, id like to get better resolution and frames, and maybe upgrade to x plane 11 but that mite not be possible on my dinosaur lol, thanks

A 230 watt OEM power supply limits you severely in what video cards can run on it, but if you have a 710 you have some "good" news in the fact that the card is so slow almost any other card will be an upgrade LOL.

A 1030 card may be good for that system, it will be about 40 watts max. Another option is maybe a used 730 GDDR5 that is also at 40 watts of max power and is a lot more likely to work in your older motherboard.

Yet another option is to gut or sell the system and get a tower computer made to hold a higher end video card with a 300+ watt power supply of a good quality. Used tower systems in about the same range as what you have would be maybe $150, $200 for something pretty good.

There are even new builds using a Ryzen CPU that you can get for a good price and then you have a brand new computer with a solid state drive and capability of upgrades for gaming. Here is one example https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/super-budget-pc-build.3539780/ The onboard video speed in that Ryzen 3 will destroy the 710 card you have, and not much more than the cost of just a 1650 or 1050Ti you were looking to get. You can sell your system for about $70 for no problems and you have the cost of the video card upgrade into a full new system.

Last edited:
Solution