Question Graphics card upgrade problem (power connectors) ?

hav0k304

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2012
Hi guy's I've recently purchased a brand new 6900xt and it's arrived today, problem is it has 3 8 pin connectors and my old gpu was using 1 6 pins one was a 8 pin split with a 2 pin to make it 8 pin, I have one more 8 pin tucked away inside all of the wires and cable management, I had my pc built so it's hard to work out where everything is, would using the two 8 pins I was using plus the other 6 pin get the card working or will I need a new psu and what is the cheapest one I could get? Thanks

DSzymborski

Titan
Hi guy's I've recently purchased a brand new 6900xt and it's arrived today, problem is it has 3 8 pin connectors and my old gpu was using 1 6 pins one was a 8 pin split with a 2 pin to make it 8 pin, I have one more 8 pin tucked away inside all of the wires and cable management, I had my pc built so it's hard to work out where everything is, would using the two 8 pins I was using plus the other 6 pin get the card working or will I need a new psu and what is the cheapest one I could get? Thanks

You need to fill in all the PCIE connectors.

What exact PSU is it? And on a high-end GPU, "what's the cheapest PSU" is not a question that should ever, ever be asked. If you do not have the budget for a safe, quality PSU for the 6900xt, you should return it to the retailer and get a GPU that leaves you the budget for a proper PSU.

hav0k304

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2012
I'm not sure what psu it is but it's a decent one it's hidden in the bottom cover of the case so I can't see what brand it is I think it's a good one as I bought it from a friend

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm not sure what psu it is but it's a decent one it's hidden in the bottom cover of the case so I can't see what brand it is I think it's a good one as I bought it from a friend

That you're trying to connect a GPU to a PSU without even knowing what it is, let alone if it's good, is highly concerning. You shouldn't even be removing the GPU from the box it's shipped in if you don't have this information.

It's the computer equivalent of a doctor giving a patient a blood transfusion without knowing what blood type they have. We end up with a lot of people posting here who have destroyed their GPUs through such carelessness. And that's not a warranty thing.

BarderoJ

Prominent
Oct 27, 2022
Every modern pu uses 6+2 pin pci-e. U can plug 6 or 8pin with it, some pu have two 6+2 pin on one cable and i dont recommend them.
So if ur gpu has three 8pin u need a pu that has those three 6+2pin

Also dont forget to check pu 12v watt nominal, just make sure that pu gives enough power

hav0k304

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2012
I'll just get a new one, what do u guys recommended I've heard people saying 750w is fine and others 850 w but it says 900w recommended on the box, a 1k PSU is almost 200 pounds, that is a lot of money to pull ou for a psu when I've already spent 850 on the GPU...

would this be good enough?

Cooler Master MWE 850 Gold V2 Fully Modular PSU

hav0k304

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2012
As i said, i cant check what PSU it is but im almost certain its a corsair, as i said i cant see it because of the case covering it at the bottom.. its all cable tied in and I'm no good with the inside of cases..

TRENDING THREADS