Graphics card upgrade question.

xexmi

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Hi, I've got a question about my overall desktop build and the graphics card upgrade I should get. I've been searching google and several different website including this one and I'm having a hard time choosing between graphics cards and knowing whether or not they're able to be used on my current power supply unit or be bottlenecked by my CPU.

Current build is :
AMD Phenom ii x4 975 3.6 GHz
8 GB Ram
AMD Radeon HD 6700 series graphics card
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 motherboard
Core Stream 500Watt power supply

Current graphics card surprisingly runs most games fine, but it's when I want to play my two favourite ones Arma 2 / 3 it begins to start running them really slowly. I understand they're both very CPU intensive but I feel as if it's my CPU causing the majority of the low fps, if someone could correct me. I've been looking at gtx 760's and gtx 660 ti's and I've read that the 760's are better although my current CPU may bottle neck it a little bit. I also read that it requires a 500 Watt power supply, which mine is but with all other components running would it still work?

On my other thread, I was suggested to buy a GTX 750 Ti as it can run on a 300 Watt power supply but I've read that it's slower than a GTX 660? All I'm wanting is a card that can run Arma 2 / 3 on High settings on multiplayer ( A lot to ask, I understand.) Price range would be around £130, hoping I can get a second hand card somewhere as I don't have too much and I don't think I can afford a PSU upgrade.

Any help will really help me on choosing the card I will buy, thank you so much for reading.

Solution
The GTX 750 Ti is a solid card for it's price and size; it's astonishing how it's energy efficient too, it doesn't require any power connectors either. The GTX 750 Ti is slightly "weaker" than the GTX 660 but not by far at all to be honest, you'll only gain a few frames at most with the GTX 660 over the GTX 750 Ti.

You could pick up an EVGA GTX 660 if you desire. Nvidia recommends a 450W PSU for the GTX 660, whereby it will only use a maximum of 140w under full load; hence your current PSU should be adequate. The following is going for £100 on eBay, in near new condition: EVGA GTX 660 on eBay UK. The GTX 660 is a solid card and your CPU will bottleneck it (restricting the cards potential), hence you could upgrade your CPU in the...

Taylor_31

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
The recommended card for Arma is the 7750 so you definitely don't meet that. They recommend an AMD Phenom II X4 940 or better so you do meet that. As for your graphics card, If you know exactly what your PSU can handle it might help you make a decision. I would try filling this out http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp to see. If you're not able to handle the 760 then the 750 Ti is definitely a good option, though you may have to upgrade sooner and you won't get quite as good frames in Arma.

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
The GTX 750 Ti is a solid card for it's price and size; it's astonishing how it's energy efficient too, it doesn't require any power connectors either. The GTX 750 Ti is slightly "weaker" than the GTX 660 but not by far at all to be honest, you'll only gain a few frames at most with the GTX 660 over the GTX 750 Ti.

You could pick up an EVGA GTX 660 if you desire. Nvidia recommends a 450W PSU for the GTX 660, whereby it will only use a maximum of 140w under full load; hence your current PSU should be adequate. The following is going for £100 on eBay, in near new condition: EVGA GTX 660 on eBay UK. The GTX 660 is a solid card and your CPU will bottleneck it (restricting the cards potential), hence you could upgrade your CPU in the future too. To be honest on the topic of CPUs, your current processor is quite "weak." (Not to be offensive.)

All the best. :)

Solution