Graphics Card Upgrade Question

orion923

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
Greetings all,

I am considering upgrading my GPU as I have recently started using two monitors and my current GPU (an MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 950) only has 2GB of RAM.

The card I'm considering upgrading to is a Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 4GB.

I realise that this is the previous generation of cards but seeing as I'm running an i5 4690K on an MSI ZH87-G43 Gaming motherboard, with 8GB of RAM, I'd like to keep it all from the same generation (Budget constraints are also a reason for me considering this particular GPU).

My question is this - will there be a noticeable and worthwhile change in performance from my current GTX 950 2GB. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

Yes, it does. Tom's Hardware has them on the same tier. In general, barring how the TI models fit in (& barring that the only 8-series GPUs were laptop models), adding 90 to the GPU model...

illumind

Honorable
Sep 27, 2014
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

And below... (If it's going to be used for gaming the "can I run it" and comparison 's between two cards can be very helpful.

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?list=gfxDesktopLatest

Note the Passmark difference and Game debate differences between the cards you're mentioning. I'd always go a slightly older AMG Merc or 745 BMW over a pov pack newer 318 or C series. You're getting a hell of a lot more in a 1 year old 970 than you are a new 1050, just for an example. Assuming the RAM is also the same for both cards, the higher spec offers more. The numbers speak for themselves. Other people can comment here on real world application, I just know my experience in the real world usually does correlate at least in part to the numbers. I hear people waiting to crush that statement already : )

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
GTX 1050 Ti would make more sense imo, in my country there's no real price difference when buying it new - the 1050 Ti is even cheaper most of the time.
It would be close to the same performance with less power usage.

But generally, yes, the 960 with 4GB is an improvement, and usable in modern games.

No, GTX960 is only one tier higher on tom's gpu hierarchy list:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2383150/motherboard-tier-list.html
They recommend that upgrades be three tiers higher or you may be disappointed.
Look to a GTX1060 or better.

Do not worry about the amount of vram as a selection criteria. The amount will be appropriate to the card.

And, with the GTX1060, the difference between a 3gb card and a 6gb card is more than the vram difference.
The 6gb card has more CUDA cores.

illumind

Honorable
Sep 27, 2014

"Three tiers higher" concurs with my comment re GTX970, no less. GTX 70 and 80 series are always nice.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

True, although given the choice between a three-year-old GTX 970 & a one-year-old GTX 1060 (6GB model), I'd pick the latter:

• ■ lower TDP (120W vs. 145W, 17% drop)
    ■ slightly better performance (although technically in the same tier)
    ■ the biggest reason: price. A decent GTX 1060 can be found for $260 USD & up. A GTX 970 runs at least $60 USD more; paying more for an older GPU that provides the same performance isn't a good decision (https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=186,373&sort=price&page=1).

illumind

Honorable
Sep 27, 2014
I also don't disagree with this : ) I'm just trying to nudge them toward something like a GTX 970 for a solid upgrade. If patient, and savvy they can be bought for a touch under $200AUD, in Australia. But one has to jump on them when they appear. If not a touch under $200, then I've seen plenty for $200 bang on. If they need it same day, then forget about it, but if they can wait a week - WAIT. As the saying goes, "buy in haste, buy in waste."

$320 for a GTX 970? ...Wow. US prices are way different. I bought my GTX 960 4GB for $120 'as new', and seen heaps of GTX 970's in top condition for around $200. Strange.

orion923

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I didn't even consider buying a GTX 1060 - didn't realise it would be compatible with my previous-gen motherboard. Definitely something to consider.

@spdragoo Are you saying that a GTX 1060 has more or less the same performance as a GTX 970? Also, based on my budget, the best GTX 1060 I'd be able to get is a 3GB version - the MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 3GB, to be exact.

This brings me onto another two questions: 1) Will this card not cause a bottleneck? 2) Would I have to upgrade my BIOS?

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

Yes, it does. Tom's Hardware has them on the same tier. In general, barring how the TI models fit in (& barring that the only 8-series GPUs were laptop models), adding 90 to the GPU model gives you the equivalent GPU in the next generation.

As for a bottleneck...no, not at 1080p resolutions. It & the 970 are both perfect cards for that resolution. If anything, that's usually where you see more of a CPU bottleneck. However, with your i5-4690K you shouldn't see too many performance issues with the vast majority of games...& even in those where even an i5 struggles, you still have the option to go to a nice Core i7.

EDIT: & I don't believe you'll need to update your BIOS, you should be fine.

Solution

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Over a 960? Always! The plus in GPU processing power will by far offset the lack of 1GB VRAM. Also 1060 3GB > 970, because those 0.5 GB the 970 has more can't offset the difference in efficiency.

orion923

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
GTX 1060 it is then.

What about the BIOS, though? I've read elsewhere that some people have trouble with the GTX 1060 on older mobos.
As mentioned earlier I have an MSI ZH87-G43 Gaming and I've never updated the BIOS.

If I get the MSI GTX 1060 3GB Gaming, should I be aware of any potential compatibility issues?

I believe the ZH model was exclusive to my country/region. It is listed as the H87-G43 Gaming on MSI's website.