Graphics card Upgrade

greekarican

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
Hey guys, I am having trouble understanding exactly what to look for when upgrading my graphics card. I am a gamer and would like to know what are the factors to consider when upgrading. I downloaded CPU-Z and have all the specs:

PROCESSOR: AMD A10-5700
MOTHERBOARD: 2AE0 (MSI)
GENERAL MEMORY: Type DDR3 Size 8GBytes Channel Dual

I Honestly do not know exactly what I need but any help would be appreciated.

Solution
You would definitely need a new PSU & I wouldn't spend to much on a GPU as it will be bottle necked by the CPU

What games are you planning on playing?

a 960 & good 450-500W PSU

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Tho 960 may be bottle necked with the A10 5700 depending on what games you want to play

joeh_87

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
You would definitely need a new PSU & I wouldn't spend to much on a GPU as it will be bottle necked by the CPU

What games are you planning on playing?

a 960 & good 450-500W PSU

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Tho 960 may be bottle necked with the A10 5700 depending on what games you want to play

Solution

greekarican

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
right now i just play league of legends and skyrim. i could actually play em on the highest resolution, but the game isn't seamless. I experience a little lag. I just want to upgrade. so would i upgrade both my processor and graphics card?

greekarican

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
AMD FX-8350 & Gigabyte Radeon R9 270x & Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Kit & XFX Core Edition PRO 550W
so if I get these 4 things, it'll run me about 500-600$. I mean i want to know are there actual compatibility issues between these, or compatibility with my motherboard, AND lastly if it's worth it, or to just get a new computer? I mean I have read that 8GB (what i have) DDR3 is more than enough for games and it doesn't really make a difference. So i actually don't even need to upgrade that.sorry i have a bunch of questions, I just wanna know what you would do in my situation and why. Thanks for your responses so far. And I didn't think my CPU was that bad to bottle neck my GPU.

joeh_87

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
The cpu you mentioned will not work with your current motherboard.

but don't worry your CPU will be fine with a GTX960 :) especially in most games you will notice a MASSIVE difference, as i guess you're using the Integrated GPU on the A10 which in all honesty is not very good

but just get a new PSU aswell.

If i was in your situation playing LoL & Skyrim, I would keep the CPU for now, upgrade GPU & PSU, With changing CPU/Motherboard comes a whole lot of problems for computers bought from manufactures.

Possibly new case/Windows etc.

IF you want a GPU with mind of upgrading everything else/New computer this year go with a GTX970