[SOLVED] Graphics card upgrade

Aug 12, 2021
Hi, I need to upgrade my graphics card as it keep freezing when I play WOW but my graphic cards confuse me a bit, out side the hardware it says Radeon HD 6870 but my system on my device manager says I have AMD radeon HD 6800 series
my device specifications are :

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
Ram 8.00 GB
System 64-bit operating system, x64-baes processor
Windows 10 home
I donw want to spend too much I just need something my pc can handle but better Graphics card
any help is appreciated
Thanks

This takes me back; I bought a HD 6850 back in 2010 or 2011, don't have it anymore.

It doesn't really matter what HD 6800 you have, it's not really powerful enough for modern games anymore anyway.

However, now is not a very good time to buy a GPU since prices are hugely inflated due to:
  • Cryptocurrency Mining
  • Scalpers
  • The worldwide chip shortage
But if GPU prices were normal right now, I'd recommend you something like a Nvidia GTX 1650.

Aug 12, 2021
Hello, please post a GPU-Z screenshot of your GPU. The HD 6870 belongs to the HD 6800 series. Don't use device manager to get the exact model of any GPU. Use this tool instead.

TechPowerUp GPU-Z (v2.41.0) Download | TechPowerUp

What's your Budget for the GPU upgrade ? Will you game on full HD/1080p screen resolution ?
I would love to play in a full resolutions but some one told me that my mother board should be able to hold a more powerful Graphics card since HD 6870 is powerful already 10 years ago so my system should be able to handle for a better upgrade, what I want to know is it worth upgrading or just start a new system, just bit tight with the budget because of this pandemic

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I would love to play in a full resolutions but some one told me that my mother board should be able to hold a more powerful Graphics card since HD 6870 is powerful already 10 years ago so my system should be able to handle for a better upgrade, what I want to know is it worth upgrading or just start a new system, just bit tight with the budget because of this pandemic

any graphics card would work on almost any motherboard, but will it perform well with your current specs?

By full resolution, do you mean you’re planning on 4k gaming? If so your cpu is not gonna cut it.

i would suggest at least something like B550 mobo, ryzen 5600x, and 3060 ti for 4k gaming…