Question Graphics Card Upgrade

Nov 6, 2022
Hi everyone
I'm considering upgrading my current GPU (GTX 1660 TUF OC 6GB) to a better one to be able to atleast play Apex Legends 144 FPS without having to lower my quality to the lowest with no drops while streaming

My current setup consists of the following
MOBO: MSI B450M Mortar
CPU : RYZEN 5 2600
RAM : G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000MHz CL16
PSU : Kolink Enclave 600W 80PLUS Gold Full Modular (upgrade it if I go for a better GPU)

I live in Portugal so the prices vary from 700€ to 900€ for a RTX 3070ti with the cheapest one being a EAGLE OC 8GB GDDR6X for 740€
Could you guys perhaps tell me if it's a good ideia with my current setup to go for a big upgrade like the one I'm currently thinking or should I opt out for another one
Thank you for taking the time reading this and I would love to hear you guys recommendations!

I don't think your Ryzen 2600 is really capable enough to not bottleneck that 3070 ti to some degree. That doesn't mean they can't be used together, but you are not going to see the full potential from your 3070 ti with that CPU. Unless you plan to also upgrade the CPU in the near future you might be better off going with something like the RTX 3060 and no matter what you do you definitely want to replace that Kolink power supply with something that has much better quality and performance.

You actually might even consider upgrading the CPU first especially if you only play at 1080p, as Apex legends is actually very CPU intensive and at 1080p, if that is the resolution you are gaming at, a better CPU is probably likely to make a bigger difference in FPS than a graphics card upgrade if you don't also upgrade the CPU.

Nov 6, 2022
I don't think your Ryzen 2600 is really capable enough to not bottleneck that 3070 ti to some degree. That doesn't mean they can't be used together, but you are not going to see the full potential from your 3070 ti with that CPU. Unless you plan to also upgrade the CPU in the near future you might be better off going with something like the RTX 3060 and no matter what you do you definitely want to replace that Kolink power supply with something that has much better quality and performance.

You actually might even consider upgrading the CPU first especially if you only play at 1080p, as Apex legends is actually very CPU intensive and at 1080p, if that is the resolution you are gaming at, a better CPU is probably likely to make a bigger difference in FPS than a graphics card upgrade if you don't also upgrade the CPU.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Definitely have to upgrade my CPU first and also the PSU
Would you consider that if I upgraded my current one for a Ryzen 7 5800x would that not bottleneck a RTX series one?
Asking since I don't want to be spending money unwisely

Yes, a 5800x, or even something less costly like a 5600x, would be fine choices. Be sure to update the BIOS before removing the old CPU so that your board supports the newer models.

The 5600x which is about 100 bucks cheaper than the 5800x, has much better single and multicore performance than your Ryzen 2600.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/3243vs3859/AMD-Ryzen-5-2600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X

So either of them works.

Nov 6, 2022
Yes, a 5800x, or even something less costly like a 5600x, would be fine choices. Be sure to update the BIOS before removing the old CPU so that your board supports the newer models.

The 5600x which is about 100 bucks cheaper than the 5800x, has much better single and multicore performance than your Ryzen 2600.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/3243vs3859/AMD-Ryzen-5-2600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X

So either of them works.
In my country I'm finding 5600x at 189,90€ and the 5800x at 280,45€, would you say I would see a major difference between the two if I opted for the 5600x even if it's just 100€ difference, and would I bottleneck it if I put a 3070ti with any of the two of them
What would be your choice of CPU (Ryzen) if you had to pair it with a 3070ti
Thanks for taking your time replying!

A 5600x is not going to bottleneck a 3070 ti to any appreciable amount when compared to the 5800x unless you are also planning to do a lot of multitasking while you game, like recording, streaming, running lots of mods or overlays, simultaneously running many browser tabs, etc. If so, then the 5800x will be a better option.

If you mostly "just game" and don't do a lot of multitasking while gaming, then those additional cores and threads probably won't make much difference for you.

Coming from the 2600, the 5600x is a pretty nice upgrade already. I'd say save the money by getting the 5600x and put the extra 100 bucks towards one tier higher graphics card. It will likely take you further in terms of improving gaming performance than going from the 5600x to the 5700x/5800x would.