graphics card upgrading to amd 570/80 advice wanted

Dec 31, 2018
current machine:

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming - mostly online. Destiny 2, Path of Exile, swtor, mass effect andromeda. xcom 2. warframe. goals: star war battlefront 2018, futureproofish

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:
GPU - gigabyte 650ti OC
Power supply- be Quiet 630W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i5 4670k cpu @3.4ghz. 4 sata hard drives, no optical drives, 8gb system ram

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: amazon uk (santa dropped some vouchers as loot)

BUDGET: ~£150-200

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080p (Philips 227E4LHAB)

-

so, advice. i've found a lot of conflicting Information but i've narrowed it down to for the money, an amd rx 570 or 580. sapphire appear to be the manufacturer of choice for amd? (i have always had nvidia cards until now, but for the equivalent cost/power, amd seem to be better priced rn...)

will 4gb do me okay for video card memory? i'm not running AAA releases by any stretch, prob the closest is stuff like destiny or me:a, though i plan to pick up swbf2k18 at some stage

current decision is between 570 4gb and 580 4gb - do i gain anything by going up to the next step? or is it not worth it at 1080p/without also going up to 8gb of vram? or is 8gb of vram pointless at 1080p? (i am limited by my monitor, which has a max resolution of 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz)

thank you all!!

Newer, more demanding games will eat up vram at 1080p. But that assumes you're playing them at ultra quality and also want the high framerates.

If you play games which don't really require a lot of vram, or you aren't insisting on playing at ultra settings, or you don't mind giving up a bit of framerate in order to run higher settings, then 4gb vram is enough. The choice betweem 570 and 580 would depend on a couple of factors for me. One, are you choosing between the exact same models? I'd rather have a mid grade 570 than the cheap version of the 580. I'd favor better/quieter cooling over gaining a bit more performance.

Dec 31, 2018

a good point! the cards i've narrowed it down to are-

SAPPHIRE Pulse Radeon RX 570 4G
Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 4 GB (about thirty quid more)