Question Graphics card usage drops when reaching 50°C

May 6, 2019
So I've been having a rather odd issue for quite a while. I'm running on a mix of old and new hardware and my graphics card tends to drop its performance (resource usage goes to pretty much zero) for a few seconds before coming back up.

These are my PC specifications:

• Motherboard: MSI H110M ECO
  • CPU: Intel Pentium G4560
  • RAM: 2 x 4GB (mixed brands... I know)
  • GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 750 Ti
  • PSU: Off-brand 420W
I do have the feeling it's my PSU that doesn't like feeding power to the motherboard for the GPU, since the GPU in question doesn't require a PCI-E connector. But I thought the motherboard could actually be the issue. Does anyone have any experience with this?

May 6, 2019
What do you mean by "off-brand" ? Some basic generic PSU model ? The power supply unit might be the culprit here, IMO.
Well, the power supply came with the case :sweatsmile:

Yeah, I think the same thing, to be honest. I mainly wanted a second opinion, since the motherboard is an "ecological" one.

I'll try replacing it soon, since I want to get a better graphics card soon anyway. Running four screens on an old graphics card alongside the integrated graphics isn't the best thing.

May 6, 2019
It might also be the CPU that's bottlenecking. Have you monitored CPU usage ? The GC will not be used 100% if the CPU isn't powerful enough to feed it this rate...
The CPU appears to be fine. I forgot to mention this mainly happens when I'm running a game. The graphics card goes up to around 45°C and when it reaches 50°C, it appears to really want to go back to at least a few degrees below that. The GPU just "halts" but doesn't crash, and you can see its resource usage drop down almost instantly and going back up a few seconds later.