Graphics card wattage on MSI

Wolfshadw

Titan
Depends on what MSI put in there. From what I could find, there are two variants 60watt and 115watt.

Given that the battery in the unit is only a 4-cell 51Whr battery, I wouldn't plan on high-end gaming for very long without an outlet nearby.

-Wolf sends

NnelK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
I dont care about the outlet. I just want good GPU. I've heard that GPU wattage on laptops are really important. I dont want to buy low wattage gpu.

If the information above is correct that there are two variants then which one is that MSI laptop?

There's no other laptops on sale.

Wolfshadw

Titan
First off, my apologies. There are not two variants of the RTX 3060 mobile graphics card. It's that the card ranges in power usage between 60 watts and 115 watts. All mobile RTX 3060s have this range.

I've heard that GPU wattage on laptops are really important.
It is important as far as how fast it drains your battery or how your laptop chooses to allocate power, but an RTX 3060 is an RTX 3060.

-Wolf sends

I dont care about the outlet. I just want good GPU. I've heard that GPU wattage on laptops are really important. I dont want to buy low wattage gpu.

If the information above is correct that there are two variants then which one is that MSI laptop?

There's no other laptops on sale.
The minimum wattage you're guaranteed is 60W. Whether or not the manufacturer decided to raise the limit is up in the air and it's likely they won't say what it is despite NVIDIA telling them they should. Given it's a "thin" laptop, it's likely on the lower end and it probably tops out at 80W at best. However, this also depends on if the system decides the CPU can give up the extra wattage since the extra GPU wattage comes from a total wattage pool the laptop has.

If you want to find out for sure, you're just going to have to wait for a review or for someone else to figure it out.

EDIT: Given the earlier variants of this laptop used a 1650 to a 1660 Ti, the 3060 likely caps out at 80W if power shifting is even implemented. Otherwise it'll cap out at 60W.

Reactions: NnelK

Zubar

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
For laptops...You kind of want it on the lower end of the watts...
Reason being, yes you get more performance with more power, however the GPU runs extremely hot. It's not even worth it in my opinion unless you reapply thermal paste.