Graphics card with 250W power supply?

mglwd40

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hello, I am currently considering purchasing a new graphics card for my computer, but my power supply is only 250w so I am having trouble finding anything decent to use. I am planning to use it mostly for gaming. I really am kind of clueless when it comes to computer hardware, and from what my friends tell me upgrading the power supply can be pretty tricky...so I would really prefer not to do that. I have seen a couple reviews for some graphics cards, that recommend 300-400w power supplies in their system requirements, with people saying they run perfectly fine with 250w....but I am nervous that it could damage my computer or just cause me to waste money to try that lol. Below is a link to my computer model and specs...it is a Compaq SR5214x and everything on mine is the same except that I have 2GB ram instead of 1GB. Does anyone have an idea as to, basically, what the best video cards available for 250w power supply are? Thanks alot in advance for the help!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01155010&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_us/c01155010/loc:4&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3567523

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Upgrading the power supply can be simple if you unplug one thing from the old power supply and plug it right back into the new power supply. A 250W power supply does not offer much room for a new graphics card. You are mostly limited to the very low end and would be best sticking with what you currently have until you can upgrade either the power supply or computer. Your choice there.

The reason that you will almost never see a card requiring less than a 400W unit is that the system they test it on is always a beast of a system, usually based on the highest power Intel Extreme Edition processor with a ton of ram, a top end motherboard, and a few hard drives, without a graphics card their base system would pull a few hundred watts. If you have a low power system like you do you can often get away with a low power GPU like a 5570 which only pulls 40W at load.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005

This is usually to cover themselves incase someone did build a beast of the system following their PSU recommendation and something was to go wrong.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005

Not impossible to do. Try a multi raid setup, massive startup power requirements.

mglwd40

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Ok, thanks alot for the info everyone! I had actually been considering the HD5570, but the 400W power listing on the requirements scared me off lol. It shouldn't cause any problems with my computer though, right?

TRENDING THREADS