[SOLVED] Graphics card with blown Cap

Jul 8, 2020
Hi, so I recently bought a used Radeon HD 7570 from eBay to put in my old Core 2 Duo system. When I received it I was pleasantly surprised to find the card in very good condition, so I cleaned it out (I didn't remove the cooler because I didn't have any thermal paste with me) and left it to dry out for a day, the next day I plugged it into my system and turned it on. I didn't have to correct cables for the graphics card output so I hooked it up to the IGPU port instead, once I was in the desktop nothing in windows showed any sign of an inserted graphics card and I can't see that information in the BIOS (not UEFI, BIOS, that's how old my system is) I couldn't get anything to detect it, not even the Radeon software from AMD. I got busy, so I decided to try it again the next day, I remove the card and put it back until it locks (note: I am 101% sure the card was seated in the clot correctly) and then proceed to start the system. The moment I turn on the system, I see something inside the case glow, followed by firework-like sparks, I immediately pull the plug and I smell a distinct firecracker-like smell from the card, I take it out and I see that a cap has a blown. (C designates a cap right?) Anyway, I got the display cable for the card now, and I don't know what to do, RMA is not an option, should I try to DIY fix it or should I just save myself the hassle and auction it on eBay? (please keep in mind that I don't swim in money) What causes these caps to blow, was it the questionable power supply of the pc? The marking looks like it says C157. (The PSU is rated for 720 watts btw.) The back of the card looks fine too, any help on what I should do will be greatly appreciated.

Ps: Does anyone know how to insert images from your computer?

Solution
A low quality 168W PSU!

Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but with something this old and garbagey and the fact that the capacitor didn't come blown, it's far more likely that you destroyed the card than you got a bad card.
Jul 8, 2020
upload to imgur.com and post link

What exactly is the model name of your PSU ?
I'd try to replace the blown capacitor and see, if that fixes things. If not, then just trash it.

Don't think you'll get much cash for dead HD 7570 on ebay. Unless you're going to try and scam somebody, which is absolutely not ok.
I'm not looking to scam anybody, and here are the images, the PSU is a Bestec Atx-250-12z
I've also included some images of the PC and what the cap should look like

View: https://imgur.com/OwtNVwm

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm not looking to scam anybody, and here are the images, the PSU is a Bestec Atx-250-12z
I've also included some images of the PC and what the cap should look like

View: https://imgur.com/OwtNVwm
That is not a 720 watt PSU. That is a PSU that claims to be 250W, but only provides 14A on the 12V rail, so, real world, it's only 168W.

Throw it out. Get a good PSU before you do anything else. The PSU might have been what killed the GPU.

Crap PSU - 168W (not 720W).
Minimum recommended PSU for Radeon HD 7570 is 350W.

bestec-atx-250-12z-d2r-250-watt-24-pin-power-supply-410507-001-115.jpg

Jul 8, 2020
upload to imgur.com and post link

What exactly is the model name of your PSU ?
I'd try to replace the blown capacitor and see, if that fixes things. If not, then just trash it.

Don't think you'll get much cash for dead HD 7570 on ebay. Unless you're going to try and scam somebody, which is absolutely not ok.
That is not a 720 watt PSU. That is a PSU that claims to be 250W, but only provides 14A on the 12V rail, so, real world, it's only 168W.

Throw it out. Get a good PSU before you do anything else. The PSU might have been what killed the GPU.
Crap PSU - 168W (not 720W).
Minimum recommended PSU for Radeon HD 7570 is 350W.

bestec-atx-250-12z-d2r-250-watt-24-pin-power-supply-410507-001-115.jpg
A low quality 168W PSU!

Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but with something this old and garbagey and the fact that the capacitor didn't come blown, it's far more likely that you destroyed the card than you got a bad card.
Thank you all you guys, when I bought the card I got a 5 dollar off coupon and eBay just gave me another for 10 dollars off,, so the card is paid for, I'll find something to do with the card and as for the PC, I am working on building a Ryzen 3 system and this time I'll put an evga 500w power supply in. :)