Question Graphics card won't boot

Jun 12, 2019
I got a new graphics card after my last one shorted a few months ago and finally got to get a new one. XFX rx 580 8gb to Zotac 1660ti gaming amp. The motherboard boots all other systems but when it tries to boot the card it stops the process. There's no signs of power to the card aside from my monitor turning on and the motherboard tells me it's a GPU bound issue (Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3). My CPU is a ryzen 5 1600 so I cant access bios, also wont start with my brothers rx 580.

Yeah, I did the same process with my brothers gpu still didnt work

OK,

Does the new GPU work in his system?

I am thinking you have a fried MB at this point.

That also means that the PSU is in question too due to this.

The old GPU was shorted and stops the PC from trying to boot immediately.

That is NOT a good sign.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019
OK, you have to replace the MB and I would also replace the PSU to be safe.
I do have an old mb with stock BIOS. However it did have problems booting with the CPU, was the same problem with my MB now before I was able to use a different CPU to update the bios with, but I'll see about taking it to computer repair shop (likely geek squad) and if they tell me the same thing then I'll see what I'm able to do afterwards

I do have an old mb with stock BIOS. However it did have problems booting with the CPU, was the same problem with my MB now before I was able to use a different CPU to update the bios with, but I'll see about taking it to computer repair shop (likely geek squad) and if they tell me the same thing then I'll see what I'm able to do afterwards

Not really the same problem.

Your OLD GPU was shorted out, something made that happen so you have a real problem now.

Replacing the MB will fix it, your MB is history, there is no way around that one.

Replace the PSU also just to be safe because something caused the GPU to short out. The PSU could fry the new GPU and new MB also if that is what caused it. Best to be safe and replace it.

You don't need GEEK Squad for that. ;)

Take the money you would be paying them and put that towards replacing the parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Dolphin
Jun 12, 2019
Not really the same problem.

Your OLD GPU was shorted out, something made that happen so you have a real problem now.

Replacing the MB will fix it, your MB is history, there is no way around that one.

Replace the PSU also just to be safe because something caused the GPU to short out.

You don't need GEEK Squad for that. ;)

Take the money you would be paying them and replace the parts.
Thanks lol, I'll see what I'm able to do. I'll ask some of my friends if they have spare parts I can use.