Question Graphics Card won't come out, any tips?

SamdalabonaHD

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
Hi Guys,

I am trying to get my GPU out as I want to generally tidy all of the cables and clean everything out. (Maybe upgrade it too)
HOWEVER, I cannot get it out.

I take out the cables, unscrew the back plates and then unclip the one tab that it has connecting it and it still won't come out. Any tips? Advice?

My build is as follows:
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45-GAMING ATX Motherboard (Intel Z87, 4x DDR3, DVI, HDMI, 6x USB3.0, GBE LAN, LGA1150 Socket)
Graphics CARD: GEFORCE GTX 770
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.50GHz, 8MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770K, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Bo
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
RAM: Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R Vengeance Pro Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1866Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Red

Also, if I was to upgrade the GPU what should I go for? Not sure what is compatible and what is a reasonable card to go for nowadays. I do not play any games on it but I do a lot of photo/video editing!

Thanks,
Sam

MysticWiz

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016
I am puzzled why you are having difficulty removing the GTX 770 from your desktop. So the power cables /PCI express cables are removed, the screws or tabs that are holding the I/O ports to the rear chassis are off. You have pressed the tab release under the GTX 770 on the graphic card slot on the motherboard so you lift the GPU and remove from the connector. I wonder if the I/O plate is stuck between the motherboard and the case (chassis). Did you remove the HDMI cable or whatever going to your monitor. Well. if you are still stuck we would love a photo of the GTX 770 being jammed. -- You rig is a bit outdated cause upgrading the GPU will bottleneck your CPU. I guess a GTX 1080 or 1080TI with a minimum Power Supply of 600 Watts, better off with a 700 Watt or 850 Watt. Beware you will have some bottleneck. You will roughly gain a 30 percent jump going from GTX 770 to GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti. Be sure to take GPU measurement so it will fit in your case. Anyways you won't need more than one GTX 1080. SLI configuration has not been important in the last 8 years, even though manufacturers of motherboards like continue making 2 to 4 PCIe slots. Well 2 GPU's is good if you are running 3 to 6 monitors at one time but that means having a 1000 to 1500 Watt power supply and watch your electric bill soar. The GTX 1080 will easily support 2 monitors while video editing. Wish ya the best.

SamdalabonaHD

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
I am also puzzled as to why I am having difficulty removing it...I have tried with a lot of force and it isn't budging.

All cables and screws removed, tab popped up. I can move it up and down, and right side where the tab is, is loose however in the back left side (which I can't see well, it won't come out.

Unfortunately it won't let me attach images to this reply. But the card is drooping to the right so I know I have definitely got the tab off, yet still can't get it to come out

MysticWiz

Honorable
Feb 10, 2016
I am also puzzled as to why I am having difficulty removing it...I have tried with a lot of force and it isn't budging.

All cables and screws removed, tab popped up. I can move it up and down, and right side where the tab is, is loose however in the back left side (which I can't see well, it won't come out.

Unfortunately it won't let me attach images to this reply. But the card is drooping to the right so I know I have definitely got the tab off, yet still can't get it to come out
Re-seat the GPU, (GTX 770) reconnect the cables. I hope that it is still functionable "working". Since you are unable to remove the graphics card. Must leave it "As Is". A working computer is better than a broken one.
Save your money and buy a new computer in 2021. I wish everyone well and to be safe during this world pandemic. As you are aware there are more important things to be done or worry about other than to be upset about your computer. At least you appear to have the ability to use your desktop or a friend to allow you to share theirs. I am certain things will get better, have patience and faith.