Graphics card wont fit all the way

imdavroz

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
So my graphics card just wont fit all the way, and the expension slot cover also pokes out a bit. I tried pressing a little harder but it wouldn't move and im afraid if i push harder that it will break. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I have a gt 1030.

Did you make sure you are aligning it correctly? it goes straight down, does not bend at all. Also make sure the lock at the right end of the PCI-E slot is pushed down(it makes a little click when you push it down, and there's no need to lock it back in - putting the card in automatically locks it). If the lock is open, and the card is aligned the right way, and it still doesn't go in, you just need to push. Also, I hope you're using a 16x PCI-E slot, not a smaller one.

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
The expansion slot covers should be unscrewed and removed from the case before installation. The graphics card should butt up against the inside edge of the case. Sometimes the bottom of the graphics card slot cover will touch the motherboard creating the problem I think you're describing. Make sure the bottom of the graphic card slot cover slips between the motherboard and the case. This should let the cards slide into the slot easily.

Update: After watching your video I'm pretty sure this is the problem. Some cases have a little slot that the cover should feed into. But it definitely looks like the slot cover is catching on something.

imdavroz

Reputable
Jun 5, 2018
OH MYGod it just clicked, thank you so much! (I think it was indeed that the slot cover was on the motherboard) too bad i cant test it out yet because i have a vga monitor and i stupididly bought a passive hdmi to vga converter.. lol