Graphics card won't turn on

Lazyboy001

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
I upgraded my Nvidia 750 to an evga 1050. I have Windows 8, a 500w psu, and a ASRock H81M-DG4 LGA 1150 Intel H81 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard. (Not familiar with MB and I don't remember rest of the specs off the top of my head.)

The issue is my card wont turn on. It's plugged in right with the PSU 6thingy and to the Mobo. When I plug in my monitor to the Mobo without the card, my PC will run. If I do it with the card in nothing will turn on my the PC light and the none graphics card fans.

I have tried plugging in my ram cards first, holding the power button for 30s not plugged in, testing my old card and it works. Plus something else I can't remember.

My only guess left is the card is faulty but I've never had an issue with Fry's before. They were -huge- on no refunds so I expect a hassle that I don't want.

Any suggestions on what I can try would be great thanks.

Solution
Yeah that might be your problem, it needs to be an active adapter (not sure if that one is) as the 10 series does not output any analogue vga signal.

Do you have a TV or another screen you can try a HDMI to HDMI connection?

Lazyboy001

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with BIOS. My BIOS Version/Date is American Megatrend Inc. P1.00, 10/31/2014
SMBOIS Version 2.7
BIOS Mode UEFI

I went here https://ami.com/en/products/bios-uefi-tools-and-utilities/bios-uefi-utilities/ but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to download exactly, sorry. =/

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Go here:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-DG4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Download 1.20 for windows and run the utility to update.

Lazyboy001

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
That made it easy, my BIOS is updated but still the same problem.
The card will turn on right when I turn on my PC. But after about 30ish seconds it will just turn off. The monitors never showing the pc turning on, even the one plugged into the MoBo

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah that might be your problem, it needs to be an active adapter (not sure if that one is) as the 10 series does not output any analogue vga signal.

Do you have a TV or another screen you can try a HDMI to HDMI connection?

Solution

Lazyboy001

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
I do, I'll give it a try. Though why would my card turn off if that's the case? As well as my motherboard VGA connection not work?
Just seems weird to me.

Side note what that other guy said to use gave me a virus. If anyone else see's this, don't download that trash. >.<

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Its fairly normal for the cards fan to turn off when not under load (new feature on some 10 series cards).

Your motherboard VGA connection will be disabled when it detects a card in the PCI-E slot, this is normal default behavior (theres a setting in the bios if you want to use the Integrated graphics as well as the pci-e graphics .

Lazyboy001

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017

Hey man, it worked on my TV.
Thanks so much for helping me out. I was not going to sleep without figuring this dang thing out with the horrible day I've had.

Sucks I gotta buy two plugs but it sonds way better than not having it work. Cheers.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Glad it worked.

Make sure you get an active adapter, or a monitor that takes digital inputs (like HDMI/DVI/Displayport - do you really want to be using an analogue signal in 2017? ;)