Graphics cards keep failing

joey59

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
So i've gone through 2x asus strix 1060 cards over the last year, each time was a bit different but prevented the gpu from working, like it stopped putting out a display, wixilate the screen, pc freezes, only gpu fans go to 100% gpu LED lights shut off, etc....

Mobo is a MSI b350, called msi to see if theh could test it and on the phone and rma email i was told it way take up to 50 business to get the mobo back, what could most likely cause this, Mobo, PSU or somthing else?
PSU is a EVGA 650g nex gold.

Asus said its possible for the pcie slot to build static but didnt talk much about it.

First gpu lasted maybe 7-8 months, second lasted anothed about the same time.

Replacement gpu should arrive soon, should i just use it, send in the mobo and risk it taking soo long to get it back or look at psu?

Solution
I agree, likely you had a dud card. Do you know if they sent you a new card or a refurbished card as a replacement?

Particularly on these newer boards with the metal slot reinforcement would take any static charge to ground.

Possibly a bad power supply or the motherboard itself. Really the only way to look for an electrical fault would be with an oscilloscope and carefully monitoring for spikes. A faulty VRM might be pushing high voltage through to the PCIe slot power pins. But a standard voltage measurement would probably just show a normal 12V+/5V+.

kbarizo93

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Are you using any sort of surge protector for your PC?

I would definitely invest in one, it's important to provide "clean" power to your computer.

Personally, I wouldn't wait 50 business days. It's just really hard to say what your issue could really be.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I agree, likely you had a dud card. Do you know if they sent you a new card or a refurbished card as a replacement?

Particularly on these newer boards with the metal slot reinforcement would take any static charge to ground.

Possibly a bad power supply or the motherboard itself. Really the only way to look for an electrical fault would be with an oscilloscope and carefully monitoring for spikes. A faulty VRM might be pushing high voltage through to the PCIe slot power pins. But a standard voltage measurement would probably just show a normal 12V+/5V+.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS