Graphics cards run at 100% when playing games

Agent Dash

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
Just today I have discovered my dual 1080ti's run at 100% when I play any game even lo graphical ones like Terraria. I have newest version of windows 10 installed, no viruses or adware, temps are normal for all components, and the rest of my specs are more then enough to multitask (128 gigs ram, samsung 850 evo SSD and 2 2tb HDD's) What could be going on?

100% GPU usage is what gamer's typically shoot for when playing a game. That means you are getting the most out of your hardware.

However, if you are getting lower performance than to be considered normal, then there might be an underlying issue.

Have you checked your temps?

Is your performance lower than normal?

List full system specs including power supply and monitor resolution.

Agent Dash

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015

1080p monitor resolution.
2 1080ti's
i7 6850k
500 GB Samsung EVO SSD
2 2TB WD Black
Asus rog rampage V 10 edition MoBo
Corsair TX850M Power Supply
128 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM
Corsair Hydro series H100I CPU Cooler

Temps are normal but performance is not up to par as it usually is. Games lag like crazy...

InvalidError

Titan

100% GPU usage means that the GPUs are bottlenecking the frame rate. If that is happening at a frame rate beyond what OP wants, then that's fine. Otherwise, it means OP needs to dial back some graphics details to reduce GPU workload per frame so they can push higher frame rates, which may be bad if OP doesn't want to give up some eye-candy.

Edit: high GPU usage in a 2D game like Terraria sounds like there must be a bug or possibly malware somewhere. Might want to try re-installing GPU drivers. I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a piece of software that's bugging out due to the excessively OP system.

Agent Dash

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015

With the specs I have I shouldn't have to dial back anything. I should be able to get full 1080p 60FPS ultra or high graphics on anything I play...

InvalidError

Titan

Why does ThreadRipper have a 'legacy' mode? Because some software goes nuts on excessively overkill hardware.

Some games also can't handle SLI properly. You could try disabling SLI or removing/disabling one GPU altogether to see if Terraria might be one of those.

Agent Dash

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
SLI has been disabled permanently for the time being. Terraria was working just fine leas night when I played it. Played Vermentide 2 and it had the same issue. GTA V on ultra doesn't seem to be having this issue though