News Graphics Cards Selling for Near MSRP: The Best GPU Deals

Looking forward to taking my chances on those sweet dirt cheap ex mining GPUs in the near future.
I'm not sure if you're being serious or facetious, but if you know for sure a GPU was used for 24/7 mining for a year or more, I'd probably avoid it unless it really is "dirt cheap." More likely is that any used cards on eBay will be sold for the going rate, and the miners will all lie and say, "Never used for mining — I'm not even sure what that means! This card was treated great and hardly even used at all for the past two years. It's in pristine condition!" And then you'll buy it and get a dusty card that's been ridden hard and needs a good cleaning, and probably new thermal pads and thermal paste.

"Never used for mining — I'm not even sure what that means! This card was treated great and hardly even used at all for the past two years. It's in pristine condition!" And then you'll buy it and get a dusty card that's been ridden hard and needs a good cleaning, and probably new thermal pads and thermal paste.
"It ran when parked."

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
Tom's is being very optimistic thinking that Ada will sell for 1/2 the price of Ampere. Since they know what prices they can get away with, I'm predicting another significant price hike with 4080 going for $999 or more at launch MSRP with 4070 at the $799 tier but street price will be higher. What's also concerning is ADA will also be constrained even more by being manufactured by TSMC which seems to be a major cause of the chip shortage as they basically have a lock on all the top tier nodes.

Reactions: artk2219

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Tom's is being very optimistic thinking that Ada will sell for 1/2 the price of Ampere. Since they know what prices they can get away with, I'm predicting another significant price hike with 4080 going for $999 or more at launch MSRP with 4070 at the $799 tier but street price will be higher. What's also concerning is ADA will also be constrained even more by being manufactured by TSMC which seems to be a major cause of the chip shortage as they basically have a lock on all the top tier nodes.
I mean the 4070 is supposed to match or beat the 3090 from some leaks so a price jump would be expected

InvalidError

Titan
I mean the 4070 is supposed to match or beat the 3090 from some leaks so a price jump would be expected
I'm expecting 30-50% hikes across most of the product stack, basically half as much as the 60-100% gen-on-gen performance bumps. High enough that they may price themselves out of much of the market regardless of how good the performance may be.

Co BIY

Splendid
I'm expecting 30-50% hikes across most of the product stack, basically half as much as the 60-100% gen-on-gen performance bumps. High enough that they may price themselves out of much of the market regardless of how good the performance may be.

15% increase would really only be keeping up with inflation. Figure another 15% for BOM price increases. 10-15% for Foundry price increases.

I don't think the danger is pricing themselves out of the market. The danger is the market pricing itself out of relevance.

Only hope of price moderation is Intel's entry into the market. But my expectations are dampened by the fact that they will not be bringing their manufacturing weight to bear since the GPU production will be outsourced.

GPU prices are falling because mining isn't there to support the extreme inflation of last year. Nvidia has secured manufacturing space and paid billions in advance to do so, and it wouldn't do that if it didn't expect to sell plenty of cards. It will also have to compete with miners potentially offloading millions of used RTX 30-series cards. Unless something happens to screw up supply, I expect prices roughly as follows:

RTX 4090: $1,999 — a $500 jump from the 3090, with performance probably 50% higher than the 3090 Ti (at 4K ultra).
RTX 4080: $999 — a $300 jump from the 3080, with performance 30% higher than the 3090 Ti.
RTX 4070: $699 — a $200 jump from the 3070, with performance basically matching the 3090 Ti.
RTX 4060: $499 — a $160 jump from the 3060, with performance close to the RTX 3080.
RTX 4050: $329 — a $70 increase from the 3050 for approximately RTX 3070 performance.

Those names might change, potentially a lot, so there could be "Ti" variants in between a bunch of the models. But basically that's where I expect prices to land right now. So when I say there will be a new RTX 4080 that costs half as much as the 3090 Ti and provides better performance, that's what I'm thinking.

Maybe Nvidia will surprise us with better prices, and of course the 4050/4060 won't be released until mid to late 2023. There's also potentially room for an "RTX 4040" or something, because at present the GTX 16-series cards are the only sub-$250 offerings from Nvidia. I doubt it will fully leave the budget sector, but I'm not sure what exactly it will do to compete. A new GTX series would be really weird at this point, so maybe just take the 2060 design (or 3050) and put it on 5nm, or even 7nm/8nm, and sell it at a lower price.

artk2219

Distinguished
I'm not sure if you're being serious or facetious, but if you know for sure a GPU was used for 24/7 mining for a year or more, I'd probably avoid it unless it really is "dirt cheap." More likely is that any used cards on eBay will be sold for the going rate, and the miners will all lie and say, "Never used for mining — I'm not even sure what that means! This card was treated great and hardly even used at all for the past two years. It's in pristine condition!" And then you'll buy it and get a dusty card that's been ridden hard and needs a good cleaning, and probably new thermal pads and thermal paste.

I was being serious, after the last crash I found a seller with 30 day returns and I was buying bundles of used R9 390's, RX 470's, 480's, and 570s off of them for like 50 to 60 a piece. If any had issues I didn't even have to send them back, they just sent a replacement or credited me back if there was no replacement to be had. Now I wouldn't recommend it to everyone because these cards were definitely run hard, but after cleaning, repasting, a few fan replacements, a bios reflash, and a thorough vetting (which i do with every card regardless of it being new or used, ive had several brand new cards fail during testing in the past), they were good to go, and I haven't had one that passed validation fail yet. That being said, I did have about 10% that did have issues, and they were handled as mentioned, either a replacement or refund, and I used the ones with issues for parts. It definitely comes down to finding a good reliable seller though.

Last edited:

artk2219

Distinguished
I have never bought used parts for use in my main PC before but may get extremely tempted to make an exception this time around if the deals get anywhere near as good as they did in the previous crypto GPU fire sale.
If you do decide to take your chances, make sure you find a decent seller with 30 day returns, and do a thorough vetting during that period, chances are if it passes a 72 hour+ validation after cleanup and bios reflash, it should be fine.

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
15% increase would really only be keeping up with inflation. Figure another 15% for BOM price increases. 10-15% for Foundry price increases.

I don't think the danger is pricing themselves out of the market. The danger is the market pricing itself out of relevance.

Only hope of price moderation is Intel's entry into the market. But my expectations are dampened by the fact that they will not be bringing their manufacturing weight to bear since the GPU production will be outsourced.
Yes it's happening as it wasn't long ago with XX70 cards were expected to be in the $300-$400 price range. Now we're talking double. It's sad really...

Only a mining crash with miners flooding the market with used Amperes will change the dynamic.

I'm pretty certain we will get stagnant FPS/$. So prices will in fact not go down. Yet top end will go up in price.

Today's 6800 will be a 7700, or possibly a 7600 with $800 pricing AIB MSRP. (It was $650 but AIB's got greedy)
Todays 3080 will be a 4070, or possibly a 4060 with $850 pricing AIB MSRP. (It was supposed to be $700 but NVIDIA and AIB's got greedy)

If so, they can get bent. I'll burn in a hot spot before I pay $850 for a entry mid tier graphics card. Especially with a massive recession on the way with out of control inflation. Discretionary income has gone to heck.

InvalidError

Titan
but at the end of the day, if a $499 4060 has a significantly higher Bogomarks per $ than a 3070, does it matter?
Yes, since it means you won't be able to get anything current-gen under $500 for the following two years until the RTX4050 launches for $349 which will likely still be too high for most of its intended market.

If nobody complains and people keep buying the stuff regardless of prices, entry-level GPUs will end up costing $1000+ soon enough.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
The performance of a 3080 Ti sure would make my work in Blender and Unreal go faster. However, that's not making enough money to be anything more than a hobby. With mining out of the picture, there's little way for a new GPU to pay you back after purchase and support its high cost. I don't see how today's inflated MSRPs can be justified. Gigabyte is starting to slip under MSRP.

We're not there yet. There's a looming global recession, inflation that appears to still be increasing, war-related supply chain disruptions, increased energy costs, corporate supply chain and compensation dysfunction, new Intel and Nvidia products, and more on the way. Companies are raising prices for everything from travel and leisure to food and streaming. I would have been happy to pay MSRP a year ago, but things are different now. Money that would have gone to Nvidia and EVGA is now taken by Food Lion and Marriott.

Those GPUs can sit on the shelf. Way too much uncertainty to pay MSRP. I don't think gamers should be rushing to fill the void left by miners and scalpers. There has to be punishment for the graphics industry.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm not a huge gamer anyway but there is 0% chance i'll ever pay anywhere close to those prices for a gpu. no resolution bump, eye candy or whatever else will ever be worth it to me.

i've bought gpu's in the $150-200 price range since i started building and won't go any higher ever just to check another box in the game settings. once that price level can't even play a new game, then i'm out. already bought the console and a few new games to play and won't even look back at the pc as a gaming device. plenty of other fun things i do on my pc and will not lose any sleep turning on the console when i want to play a game vs the pc.

the final straw for me is the crazy power draw, others may not care about the electric bill but i sure as heck ain't gonna pay the bill for a 1000w+ gaming system. just not gonna happen.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!! lol

SunMaster

Commendable
Apr 19, 2022
What a weird question ‘which card should you buy’. Nobody should buy anything unless they outright have to, because in 6 months next gen will be here.

As for prices, there is no way the gpu business can stay on the level that is being predicted. People will simply stop using pcs for gaming, as it is no longer sensible nor a viable option. There are only so many people in the world willing to pay 1k for a graphics card. The absurd price mudflation that has happened the last couple of years will have to be to some extent reverted.

I am not buying into any of the increased cost excuses.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Glad to see I'm not alone in the "I don't game enough to justify spending more than $200 on a GPU" club.

apparently this is a VERY exclusive club, the 1%ers wish they were as exclusive as we are. lol

i think it is time to buy some psu stock though as when the 500+w cards hit next gen, everyone gonna need a new one. prob be a quick profit to be made investing in some psu companies :)

Reactions: artk2219

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Everyone should ignore the model numbers and focus on what Bogomarks per $ you get. I mean sure, it's a convenient method to categorize things, but at the end of the day, if a $499 4060 has a significantly higher Bogomarks per $ than a 3070, does it matter?
exactly. The price to performance is still improving. Another little detail is that SLI is totally dead. Correct me if I'm wrong but 6 years ago you needed multiple 1080tis or whatever flagship card for 4k ultra in the latest games now, a single 3080 can do that.