Graphics cards that support 144hz?

vnq_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Sup guys.

I'm looking to put together a new build. After the acquisition of an Iiyama 144hz monitor which does not output 144hz on to my current computer (yet it does on my pre-2010 PC), and after conducting extensive research on the internet, I've come to the conclusion that it was in fact my graphics card that was the problem (I couldn't change my monitor's resolution either, and I tried this on three different monitors). For anyone interested, my old GPU was an XFX 7950 Double Dissipation edition.

I digress. My question is simply: which graphics cards are available today that could support 144hz?

If anyone's interested in my specs so far, I have:

CPU: Intel i5 4690k (planning to OC this)
MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme4 ATX
RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz
PSU: was looking at a superflower leadex 750w, may change this if needed

Thanks!

Solution

i would suggest avoiding palit and zotac
nothing wrong with these manufactures but they are not as reputes as the others
so why not go for the acclaimed ones since prices for all the manufacturers is more or less the same
i have the MSI GTX 970 and its a great card... its good looking and reviews have also shown it to overclock very well
the only thing i would like to see on it is a backplate

as for the gigabyte it is reviewed to have the best cooler and slightly higher overclockability
the asus is a great looking card also with a...

beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
your build is great
the GTX 970 is the best for you
since you have a 144HZ monitor
well actually there is no such thing as a GPU that 'supports' a 144HZ monitor
all gpu's can run a 144Hz monitor(i was using a nvidia gt 640 as a standby card while waiting for my GTX 970 and the 640 was running my 144Hz monitor just fine)
i wonder what the problem is with your current GPU
its only that the screen gets refreshed 144 times per second as compared to 60 times in a 60HZ monitor
so a 144Hz monitor can display more frames per second
and hence with this higher fps you gameplay becomes smoother

the GTX 970 does more the 60 fps in most games except for a few very graphically demanding games for example crysis 3 and metro last light
however whit most other games such as COD ghosts battlefielf 4 and Assassin creed
the 970 does a good average 90+ average fps
so the 970 will be able to make full use of your 144Hz refresh rate

Consult the monitor and graphics card manual for specific information. As far as your graphics card, I would guess that all that is required is a updated driver. But most any current graphics Nvidia or AMD graphics card should support 144 Hz. It may require a display port cable though.

The resolution of your monitor, refresh rate and 3D (plus your graphics card settings) can all influence the video performance.

I have an Asus VG248 144 Hz monitor and it will function even on the integrated graphics. It does require a graphics card that supports 3D for that function.

you shouldnt have a problem running 144hz.! however such vertical refresh rate is achievable only through dual link dvi or dispalyport cables or through adapter dvi to displayport and vise versa. HDMI wont work

EDIT: hd 7950 is a great gpu and capable of running more than one 144hz monitors at the same time!

psu is top quality dont change it!

vnq_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Thanks everyone for their replies.

@beni_rohit; Thanks, but I know exactly how a 144hz monitor works, or else I wouldn't have bought one. Perhaps I should have been clearer in my original post - my graphics card is capable of outputting 144 fps in the games I need it to (CS/Quake), although my point is that the monitor is literally not running at that refresh rate, even for desktop use.
I've been able to get it to run at 120hz on a really old computer using a NVIDIA GeForce 9100 using VGA, although admittedly at a scaled-down resolution. The monitor isn't the problem - I'm very confident it's my graphics card. I've googled and people have had similar problems with the AMD 7900 series cards.
Would the GTX 970 be able to run my monitor at 144hz? I've heard that DP is the optimal connection type (my monitor supports it, too) although the GTX 970 only has mini DP ports. Would this be an issue? (my current GPU doesn't have DP either and for a while I suspected that this may be the problem)

@terry4536; I've updated my drivers and checked all the info, sadly nothing. My computer is approaching becoming two years old and doesn't have a display port (ikr) so I'm having to connect it using dual-link DVI. Additionally, I've selected this as the connection type on the monitor calibration settings and tried to manually force the refresh rate via my driver, yet I'm still stuck at 60hz. My monitor doesn't actually support 3D since it's an Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1 (in my opinion it's the best 144hz monitor for fps gaming out of the 7 or so I've tried, so I was willing to sacrifice for that) but if my graphics card also does not support 3D then could that potentially be a problem?
Btw I know it's unrelated but your monitor is also amazing.

@chris987; I'm using dual-link DVI. My computer doesn't have a DP, which is sad as I think that's the recommended connection method. Would a DVI-D to DP adapter be capable of outputting 144hz? If so, I can try that. I know that HDMI doesn't work and it's the reason that I can't output higher than 60hz using the laptop connected to the monitor externally. :(

Btw, it's worth clarifying that the specs I posted in my OP are merely the parts I have for my upcoming build so far - my current computer was constructed at the end of 2012, although it was made of similarly high-end parts at the time.
However it's nice to know that the PSU is a good quality one, since I got it discounted (not a great thing to skimp on I know but yeah) and I wasn't really sure if it was worthwhile or not.
And sorry for posting an annoying question, I just don't want to spend £300-400 on a new GPU in addition to the other parts I've bought and then be stuck with the same issue. :D

Thanks everyone for your replies. :)

beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
yes the 970 will be a ble to run your monitor at 144hz without a doubt
and your DVI-D connection is absolutely fine
both Display port and DVI are capable of doing 144hz
the only difference between the two is that display port can carry both audio and video signals
where as DVI carries only video and no audio
other than this no difference at all
both can do 144hz no need for that adapter

vnq_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Okay, thanks! Could you perhaps be so kind as to recommend the best manufacturer for a GTX 970 (Asus/EVGA/Galax/igabyte/MSI/Palit/Zotac, etc)?
Your advice has been much appreciated so far. =)

beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014

so why not go for the acclaimed ones since prices for all the manufacturers is more or less the same
i have the MSI GTX 970 and its a great card... its good looking and reviews have also shown it to overclock very well

as for the gigabyte it is reviewed to have the best cooler and slightly higher overclockability
the asus is a great looking card also with a backplate
have seen too many reviews of the EVGA
but EVGA hasnt inculcated anything new to their design so nothing extraordinary about it

so the bottomline is if youre an overclocker
then go for the gigabyte
if not pick one from the asus or msi
ive personally preferred the MSI
both asus and msi have 0db technology
which means that the fans turn on only upon reaching a threshold temprature
55 degrees in case of the MSI
which means that the no card noise when youre not gaming and doing regular computing

Solution

beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014

the asus is a great looking card also with a backplate
have seen too many reviews of the EVGA
but EVGA hasnt inculcated anything new to their design so nothing extraordinary about it

so the bottomline is if youre an overclocker
then go for the gigabyte
if not pick one from the asus or msi
ive personally preferred the MSI
both asus and msi have 0db technology
which means that the fans turn on only upon reaching a threshold temprature
55 degrees in case of the MSI
which means that the no card noise when youre not gaming and doing regular computing

vnq_

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Thanks, that information is really helpful :)
I guess I've got some deciding to do between the MSI and ASUS editions then.

Thanks everyone for your help! Much appreciated :-D